UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59690  
Subject: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 4/29/2013 10:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Some of those lab reports that give a calculated value for LDL cholesterol levels may be too low. Researchers actually measured the LDL levels to compare.

After excluding the patients who had a triglyceride level of 400 mg/dL or greater -- in whom there are known limitations of the Friedewald equation -- the researchers examined data from 1,310,440 adults (mean age 59) who underwent lipid screening; 14.6% had a Friedewald-estimated LDL cholesterol level of less than 70 mg/dL, the treatment target for high-risk patients.

<<snip>>

Of the patients with a Friedewald estimate of less than 70 mg/dL, 23% had a direct measurement that was higher than that. That figure rose to 39% when triglycerides were 150 to 199 mg/dL and 59% when triglycerides were 200 to 399 mg/dL.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Cardiology/Dyslipidemia/38147

The article offers an alternate method that would be less error prone and still not require an extra lab test.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49190 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 4/30/2013 2:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Just more statistical hoo-hah to keep customers confused & frightened and allow Doctors to "doctor" up the protocol to suit their boat payments. Everybody is sick. Everybody needs drugs. Not sick now? You will be, trust me. Pay the lady at the desk

Sign at Springfield Family Dentist: No matter how you're brushing you're doing it wrong

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49209 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 4/30/2013 10:22 PM
Recommendations: 0
Just more statistical hoo-hah to keep customers confused & frightened and allow Doctors to "doctor" up the protocol to suit their boat payments.

I had hoped to alert people to some interesting facts. I hadn't expected such a cynical response. I hope you never really get sick.

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49213 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 4/30/2013 11:01 PM
I hope you never really get sick.

Too late.

I am sick. Have been since 2004 and a near total health collapse to include still unresolved heart problems. All caused by lowering my cholesterol. Statins have adverse reactions. Low fat diets are malnutrition. Just chemical and physiological facts.

Am I cynical? No. Or at least not especially so. Am I knowledgeable and experienced? Yes.

If One is not a little cynical they have failed to grasp the realities of life.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49215 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 4/30/2013 11:13 PM
PolymerMom writes,

Just more statistical hoo-hah to keep customers confused & frightened and allow Doctors to "doctor" up the protocol to suit their boat payments.

I had hoped to alert people to some interesting facts. I hadn't expected such a cynical response. I hope you never really get sick.

</snip>

There's probably something to that. Years ago I was at a dinner party talking to young dentist going to Loma Linda university to be an endodontist. He was excited to find that you only needed to do two root canals per month to make the payments on the maximum-size Mercedes.

I still get occasional nightmares over the encounter.

intercst

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49216 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 4/30/2013 11:25 PM
" I hadn't expected such a cynical response. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Actually, the response is not excessively cynical but a pretty
sharp observation of "problem-solving"
Most technical experts frame their analyses of data within their
own frame of reference.
A surgeon is more likely to "cut" than another doctor.
A pharmacist is more likely to consider pills.
A mother might consider the value of chicken soup.
A bartender might suggest a shot or two.

People define problems based on their own unique perspectives -
and their own interests can impact their judgements.

Howie52
Also tends to be a reason folks divide discussion boards based on
political perspectives. Folks tend to "mark" their territory.

Most times this results in a rather unpleasant odor which is not
always recognized by the "markers".

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49217 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 4/30/2013 11:47 PM
"I hadn't expected such a cynical response. I hope you never really get sick." - PolymerMom

The one guarantee in life is that one day our physical bodies are going to wear out and die. And death is rarely pretty or dignified.

Of course a few of us might get lucky and keel over dead without any sickness, just fall face forward in a big plate of pasta. That's what I'm shooting for.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49219 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 4/30/2013 11:53 PM
"Too late. I am sick. Have been since 2004 and a near total health collapse to include still unresolved heart problems. All caused by lowering my cholesterol. Statins have adverse reactions. Low fat diets are malnutrition. Just chemical and physiological facts.Am I cynical? No. Or at least not especially so. Am I knowledgeable and experienced? Yes.
If One is not a little cynical they have failed to grasp the realities of life." - FCorelli

------------------

If I wasn't still out of recs I'd give you one.

On this we can agree. My mom used to say to me, "life ain't a bowl of cherries you know kiddo!" At the time I didn't really understand what she was talking about..... but after 60 years of living now I do.

Art

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49221 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/1/2013 1:06 AM
Of course a few of us might get lucky and keel over dead without any sickness, just fall face forward in a big plate of pasta. That's what I'm shooting for.

I was watching Game of Thrones the other day. Tyrion was asked how he wanted to die (the implication was his captors were going to kill him, but were just asking the method). He responded:

"In my own bed, at the age of 80, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

Something to shoot for.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49222 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/1/2013 1:23 AM
Recommendations: 3
If One is not a little cynical they have failed to grasp the realities of life.

Either that or they have refused to accept them. That's what I aspire to. I am desperately in search of a means to deny what I've learned in life and be naively happy.

I recall being assigned a paper topic in Pych 101. Is it better to be a pig satisfied, or Socrates dissatisfied?

I was the only person in the class who sided with the pig but also pointed out that if you could ask the question, it was too late to choose.

Remember: Ignorance is bliss.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49225 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/1/2013 3:34 AM
Recommendations: 4
And death is rarely pretty or dignified.

That's why if makes sense to live our lives as pretty and dignified as we can.

Say "thank-you" to people who help you.
Say "I love you" or "I respect you" to people who have earned your love or respect.
Say, "I'm sorry" to people who you have hurt or wronged . . .

Then you won't have to worry about dignity when you die.

It's a simple concept to understand, but much harder to carry out day-to-day.

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49230 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/1/2013 9:59 AM
If I wasn't still out of recs I'd give you one.

Yeah, well isn't that the way it always is? Thanks for nuthin' Art.

JUST KIDDING! ;-)

I will accept your fake/metaphysical "rec" as if it were a real one :-)

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49231 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/1/2013 10:01 AM
Either that or they have refused to accept them. That's what I aspire to. I am desperately in search of a means to deny what I've learned in life and be naively happy.

I tell people that the only thing I've learned in 55 yrs of living is that I was right all along.

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49234 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/1/2013 10:21 AM

Art

That's almost exactly what happened to tenor Franco Bonisolli at 65. Just after dinner one night...whamo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGOf2d5yieo

Bing Crosby too. He was playing golf in Spain with the Spanish equivalents of Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus and just keeled face down at 74.

Author: CountNoCount Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49235 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/1/2013 12:14 PM
FCorelli: If One is not a little cynical they have failed to grasp the realities of life.

OCD: If One is not a little cynical he has failed to grasp the realities of life.

"One" is singular.

Count No'Count
... cynical and smart alec.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49239 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/1/2013 1:19 PM
"I tell people that the only thing I've learned in 55 yrs of living is that I was right all along." - FCorelli

When I was a kid my mom used to always say "truth is stranger than fiction." At that time I thought there was no way that could be true....

Until I started reading popular physics books and learning about quantum physics. Then all of a sudden my entire world view was thrown into chaos. Atoms are mostly ghostly empty space, the sub atomic particles themselves are hardly like anything we think of as matter, being more like swirling eddies in a stream than a rock or a BB, able to communicate with one another instantly over vast distances, appear and disappear, etc.

Or like Niels Bohr said, "If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet."

and, "Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real."

I was wrong and my mom was right, truth is stranger than fiction.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49240 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/1/2013 1:22 PM
"That's almost exactly what happened to tenor Franco Bonisolli at 65. Just after dinner one night...whamo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGOf2d5yieo

Bing Crosby too. He was playing golf in Spain with the Spanish equivalents of Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus and just keeled face down at 74." - FCorelli

------------------------

Lucky bastards!

Art

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49243 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/1/2013 1:35 PM
One of my "End of Life" management plans (besides what I call the .38 Caliber Cure) is, after I get the diagnosis and prognosis, go home and start mowing the lawn at the hottest part of the day, or shoveling snow depending on what's in season. Of course this would require that I be either very old or very frail at the time.

If I had been Ronald Reagan I would have spent the last several good months of my life out on the North 40 chopping wood 8 g/d hours a day till I dropped dead.

"That's almost exactly what happened to tenor Franco Bonisolli at 65. Just after dinner one night...whamo!

Bing Crosby too. He was playing golf in Spain with the Spanish equivalents of Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus and just keeled face down at 74." - FCorelli
------------------

Lucky bastards!

Art

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49244 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/1/2013 1:39 PM
OCD: If One is not a little cynical he has failed to grasp the realities of life.

"One" is singular.

Count No'Count
... cynical and smart alec.

Yes, I caught that too but unlike most people here I am not writing for the ages nor am I, seemingly , in an iron lung with nothing else to do and nowhere to go

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49246 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/1/2013 1:54 PM
"If I had been Ronald Reagan I would have spent the last several good months of my life out on the North 40 chopping wood 8 g/d hours a day till I dropped dead. "

Reagan was in great physical shape.

It was his mind that left him first...

He probably could have chopped wood 8 hours a day and it not bother him.

On the other hand, my dad suffered from clogged arteries and a sneak heart attack back in the 1960 timeframe that he didn't realize in time.....it limited what he could do.

He decided to go in for bypass surgery at age 72. He died in recovery as they brought him out of the 'suspended animation' process....had a massive heart attack that killed 50% of his heart muscle...and six weeks later...he passed away - 30 lbs lighter and barely able to survive...... He was unhappy he couldn't cut wood any longer for more than 30 minutes at a time so he opted for the operation...... they changed how they did things 10-15 years later to prevent that from happening to more folks.....

t.

Author: CountNoCount Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49252 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/1/2013 4:02 PM
Yes, I caught that too but unlike most people here I am not writing for the ages nor am I, seemingly , in an iron lung with nothing else to do and nowhere to go

How did you know that I am in an iron lung with nothing else to do and nowhere to go?

CNC

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49262 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/1/2013 7:52 PM
"How did you know that I am in an iron lung with nothing else to do and nowhere to go?" - CNC
--------------------------------

Reminds me of how I felt (trapped) when I was working at the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine for 17 years.

Zack Mayo from an Officer and a Gentleman, "I got nowhere else to go! I got nowhere else to go!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g2JN2PrHJg

Art

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49272 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/1/2013 10:45 PM
My bad. I misinterpreted anger/rage as cynicism.

fwiw, I was just feeling picked upon at having to undergo radiation therapy for Stage 0 breast cancer, which has a 90+% cure ratio. You've got a harder row to hoe.

So sorry!
PM

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49288 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/2/2013 9:44 AM
My paternal grandfather keeled over while fixing a bath after a date at age 80(!).

Given his diagnosis, I wonder if I may be doing my husband a disservice by feeding him healthy foods and nutritional supplements, reminding him to put on sunblock and get his annual dermatology check and dental cleanings. OTOH I let him take the RV to the Ford dealer for its 30,000 mile checkup without me (I just couldn't get it in gear on 4 hours of sleep. Alas, I live in stress city at the moment. BUt to the tune of Surf City this morning!)

Warping back upthread, my husband has not been the same since taking a statin for just a few weeks 4 years ago. Maybe it was a coincidence. But it's on his medical records now: No Statins, Nohow.

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49388 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/6/2013 11:25 AM
If One is not a little cynical he has failed to grasp the realities of life.

"One" is singular.

"He" excludes most people. "They" is a better choice.

link for U.S. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

Vickifool

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49425 of 59690
Subject: Re: Calculated LDL Levels Date: 5/7/2013 9:56 PM
"Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

reality is relatively over-rated.

Howie52

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement