Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Pearlfinder One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121592  
Subject: Calculating an IRA withdrawal Date: 6/24/2001 9:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I guess what I was asking in my prior message #52052 is how do you calculate how much you owe Uncle Sam when you withdraw all monies in a Traditional IRA account. I've probably lost some banking and stock transaction forms after all these years have passed. IRA was transferred several times. I'm 61 years old.
Many thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SirTas Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52058 of 121592
Subject: Re: Calculating an IRA withdrawal Date: 6/24/2001 11:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
If the monies in the traditional IRA were all tax deductible contributions (and their earnings), then the money was never taxed. What you take out of the IRA then gets taxed as ordinary income. (You won't need to refer to your transaction forms at all.) See Pub 590.

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52069 of 121592
Subject: Re: Calculating an IRA withdrawal Date: 6/25/2001 7:29 AM
Recommendations: 1
I guess what I was asking in my prior message #52052 is how do you calculate how much you owe Uncle Sam when you withdraw all monies in a Traditional IRA account.

Assuming there were never any nondeductible contributions, the amount of the check is included in your income on line 15b of the 1040. How much tax depends on how much total income and deductions.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

Author: Pearlfinder One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52092 of 121592
Subject: Re: Calculating an IRA withdrawal Date: 6/25/2001 7:10 PM
Mr. Marti:
Thanks for reply. But I do have a question based on your answer about the check income going onto line 15b of the 1040. What is Form 8606 used for? Or don't they use it anymore? Or is this form for deductible contributions?
Appreciate your time and effort.

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52103 of 121592
Subject: Re: Calculating an IRA withdrawal Date: 6/25/2001 9:55 PM
What is Form 8606 used for?

Thanks to our busy beavers in Congress, lots of things. In the context of your original question, Part I of Form 8606 is used to report nondeductible contributions to traditional IRAs and to calculate the taxable portion of IRA withdrawals when there have been nondeductible contributions.

Phil Marti

Author: Pearlfinder One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52132 of 121592
Subject: Re: Calculating an IRA withdrawal Date: 6/27/2001 10:12 AM
Mr. Marti:
Thanks for answering previous questions. Appreciated!
One last one:
When my wife and I talk about an IRA withdrawal, for the life of us, we just can't get it straight in our minds what are deductible and nondedictible contributions. Even an engineer that I walk with in the morning, who i consider to quite knowledgeable, is confused by it.
Is there a list of deductibles and nondeductibles? If not, can you give a few of both for example purposes.
Thanks!

Author: mldorsey1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52136 of 121592
Subject: Re: Calculating an IRA withdrawal Date: 6/27/2001 3:42 PM
At the time you were puting money into your IRA, did you deduct the amount of your contributions from your taxable income? These contributions are considered tax deferred. However, higher income individuals and those covered by pension plans were not allowed to defer tax on their contributions. Some people have both kinds of contributions. So if you paid income tax on the contributions once, they are not taxed again. Only the earnings from the IRA wold be taxed as regular income.

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52140 of 121592
Subject: Re: Calculating an IRA withdrawal Date: 6/27/2001 5:44 PM
When my wife and I talk about an IRA withdrawal, for the life of us, we just can't get it straight in our minds what are deductible and nondedictible contributions.

Nondeductibles are those traditional IRA contributions that you didn't deduct from your income on your tax return. They should have been reported on Form 8606, Part I.

Phil Marti

Author: Pearlfinder One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52165 of 121592
Subject: Re: Calculating an IRA withdrawal Date: 6/28/2001 7:11 PM
mldorsey1:
Thank you for being so kind in answering my question. Appreciated!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement