UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 465124  
Subject: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/11/2012 7:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Californians packing up and moving out – to Texas!

About 100,000 more people moved away from California in 2011 than relocated to the Golden State, according to the latest report from the U.S. Census Bureau.

The trend can be explained, in part, in monetary terms. Even in an economic boom, the cost of living in California has increased, prompting people to move out, and, in recent years, unemployment in the state has skyrocketed.

So, where are these former Californians going?

The Census Bureau calculates that the most popular destination is Texas (58,992), a state that [has no state income tax] is luring California companies. [because of lower taxes]

<snip>

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Californias-Populati...

Desert [glad to help out;-)] Dave
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jaagu Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411089 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/11/2012 7:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
And the Californians are slowly changing Texas into a blue state.

Author: corbetti Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411092 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/11/2012 8:11 PM
Recommendations: 1
I would not be surprised if in 20-30 years California seceded, and oregon & washington opted to come along with us.

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411110 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/12/2012 9:45 AM
Recommendations: 3
I would not be surprised if in 20-30 years California seceded, and Oregon & Washington opted to come along with us.

Didn't some other states try that some 150 years ago?

On a side note, if California seceded who would pay for the reconstruction after the big quake hits southern California?

DB2

Author: jaagu Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411137 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/12/2012 5:06 PM
Recommendations: 2
... who would pay for the reconstruction after the big quake hits southern California?

==============================================

The oil industry, the movie industry, the aerospace industry, the silicon valley inustries, the wine industry, the fruits and nuts industry, the tourist industry, and the people of CA. As you can see we can take care of ourselves and still give alms to the poor states via our Federal taxes.

jaagu

Rich people like Mit Romney are moving to CA to boost our economy even more.

Author: rainphakir Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411145 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/12/2012 6:56 PM
Recommendations: 2
Bring em on.
We (TX) got some minimum wage jobs for em.

ralph :-)

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411151 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/12/2012 8:19 PM
Recommendations: 0
who would pay for the reconstruction after the big quake hits southern California?
---
The oil industry, the movie industry, the aerospace industry, the silicon valley inustries, the wine industry, the fruits and nuts industry, the tourist industry, and the people of CA.

Bravely spoken, but easier said than done. The immediate damage would run to hundreds of billions, fires would burn for weeks, there would be massive disruption of business, two-thirds of the water for LA would be lost, the electrical grid would be in shambles, the ports of Long Beach and LA would see their business shrink to nothing, rioting would make life dangerous in many parts of the Southland, young children, the elderly and anyone with chronic pulmonary or cardiovascular conditions could be at risk; one study estimated that three-quarters of health care workers live in zones that are expected to experience the most damage; a recent study found structural weaknesses in many hospitals in California, particularly in the southern part of the state.

The earthquake will immediately drop the US into recession; if California were its own economy it would drop into a deep depression.

DB2

Author: rharmelink Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411152 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/12/2012 8:26 PM
As you can see we can take care of ourselves and still give alms to the poor states via our Federal taxes.

But could you afford the cost of water from the Colorado river after you break off? :)

Author: jaagu Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411161 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/12/2012 10:27 PM
LA would be lost, the electrical grid would be in shambles, the ports of Long Beach and LA would see their business shrink to nothing...

======================

LOL! You forgot to add that nuclear plants would be spewing radioactive clouds all over southern California.

jaagu

Author: jaagu Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411162 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/12/2012 10:34 PM
But could you afford the cost of water from the Colorado river after you break off? :)

======================================

Can the rest of the country afford to live without CA movie industry, computer industry, aerospace industry, military industrial complex, resorts, wine, fruits and nuts, and me? :)

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411163 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/12/2012 10:54 PM
Can the rest of the country afford to live without CA movie industry, computer industry, aerospace industry, military industrial complex, resorts, wine, fruits and nuts, and me? :)

You are making this a really easy call. }};-D

Author: rharmelink Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411165 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/12/2012 11:14 PM

Isn't that the same industry that keeps telling profit share participants that there is no profit, even if the movie has grossed hundreds of millions of dollars?

Author: jaagu Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411171 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/13/2012 2:49 AM
Bring em on.
We (TX) got some minimum wage jobs for em.

ralph :-)

====================================

Is that what Texas is all about? No benefits, no security, no unions, no vacation, no health-care? Sounds like a real nice place to work and raise a family.

Maybe the CA folks and the new immigrants to Texas can change all that!

jaagu :-( :-)

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411203 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/13/2012 12:52 PM
LA would be lost, the electrical grid would be in shambles, the ports of Long Beach and LA would see their business shrink to nothing...
===
LOL! You forgot to add that nuclear plants would be spewing radioactive clouds all over southern California.

That too, perhaps. But why is it LOL? This massive earthquake is something that is more certain to happen than almost anything else we discuss here.

DB2

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411205 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/13/2012 1:00 PM
who would pay for the reconstruction after the big quake hits southern California?
---
The oil industry, the movie industry, the aerospace industry, the silicon valley inustries, the wine industry, the fruits and nuts industry, the tourist industry, and the people of CA.

Bravely spoken, but easier said than done. The immediate damage would run to hundreds of billions,

Easily printed by the USA government, but would the Sovereign State of California's "full faith and credit" fiat tissue paper cover the credit gorge?

fires would burn for weeks, there would be massive disruption of business, two-thirds of the water for LA would be lost, the electrical grid would be in shambles,

I'm thinking LA's population would not be sustained with only 1/3 of its normal water supply. The "Okie migration" would be held again in reverse. Would Oklahomans and Texans turn back Californians at the state lines with cops?

the ports of Long Beach and LA would see their business shrink to nothing, rioting would make life dangerous in many parts of the Southland, young children, the elderly and anyone with chronic pulmonary or cardiovascular conditions could be at risk;

Rioting would occur only in cities. Roving bands of looters can't rove far without gasoline.

one study estimated that three-quarters of health care workers live in zones that are expected to experience the most damage; a recent study found structural weaknesses in many hospitals in California, particularly in the southern part of the state.

Assuming anyone was going to work, where would hospitals get supplies?

The earthquake will immediately drop the US into recession; if California were its own economy it would drop into a deep depression.

Tisk tisk, I'm sure the good people of Washington D.C. would be willing, indeed eager, to repatriate all that taxable income er... I mean the citizens of California.

"Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box."
-- Unknown

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411209 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/13/2012 1:13 PM
one study estimated that three-quarters of health care workers live in zones that are expected to experience the most damage; a recent study found structural weaknesses in many hospitals in California, particularly in the southern part of the state.

Several years ago the city of Seattle did a study of how buildings would fare in a severe earthquake, and found that one of the buildings most likely to collapse was... the one containing the 911 dispatch center.

(That building has since been torn down.)

Author: jaagu Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411259 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/13/2012 10:49 PM
That too, perhaps. But why is it LOL? This massive earthquake is something that is more certain to happen than almost anything else we discuss here.

DB2

=========================================

Not to the extent that you are speculating.

jaagu

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411274 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/14/2012 6:53 AM
===
Not to the extent that you are speculating.

Living in California, you are sure to have seen fires in the surrounding hills/mountains. After a major quake the fires will start in the populated areas and then spread to the hills. Unfortunately there will be no water to put out the fires. (Most of the damage in the 1906 San Francisco earthquake was caused by fire.)

Here is a technical bulletin from the Water Replenishment District of Southern California on the effects of a major San Andreas quake on water supplies.
http://wrd.org/engineering/earthquake-water-recovery-califor...

They point out:
- Fault movement will likely cause major damage of the infrastructure crossing it, including the main aqueducts bringing water to Southern California from Northern California and the Colorado River. Repairs may be hampered due to damaged roads and large scale-fires.

- The most severe damage will be closest to the fault, but even in the Los Angeles area there will be damage to pipelines and other infrastructure due to intense shaking. In addition, the Met / LADWP outages from aqueduct damage will impact the local water supply.

- In the first few days after the quake, there may be no water available due to infrastructure breaks and loss of power. After that, repairs will bring supplies online slowly. Each agency will be busy with their own systems, and repairs may take weeks to 6 months or more. New water pipelines may be in very short supply, as they are not in stock and will need to be manufactured.

DB2

Author: flyerboys Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411323 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/14/2012 5:01 PM
....a major quake the fires will start in the populated areas and then spread to the hills. Unfortunately there will be no water to put out the fires....

However, the same report goes on to discuss the ability to tap the extensive ground aquifers still accessed by wells (many that were in place long before water was brought in aqueducts from the Colorado, Owens, and Feather River basins to the east, north east, and north, respectively). These aquifers have been carefully managed, with water recharge basins built to flow rainwater into the ground instead of the ocean, and pumping strictly limited so as to provide a reservoir "under our feet" in times of emergency. Many of the emergency well pumps have local power backups.

Los Angeles county and city codes have become increasingly stringent on fire protection, for example requiring roofs to be fireproof or highly fire resistant to help limit spread of fires in winds.

...and I could go on and on. Different municipalities have different levels of preparedness, and most citizens are absurdly ill-prepared and ignorant of how crucial it is to have their city/county governments doing the right things to be ready. Some localites are courting disaster, but the region as a whole is not playing ostrich head in hole.

A huge San Andreas quake (9-ish), quickly triggering large aftershocks from faults directly under Los Angeles, all occurring during a late fall dry hot santa ana wind, is possible and figures in the plans and nightmares of emergency personnel throughout Southern California. It could be quite bad. Very bad things can happen in other places also.

Fantasies of pre-ordained disaster striking my beloved hard-working yet hedonic "surf city," "LaLa Land," "Babylon by the Sea" have been echoing forth even before images of sun-caressed babes biting big burritos amidst winter blooming rosebuds at the Rose Parade drove denizens of dismal climes into frenzies of anticipatory schadenfreude at our projected Sodomic come-uppance, from Billy Sunday to Charles Coughlin to Pat Robertson. We have learned to bolt our foundations, store water, check the emergency gas shut offs, and carry on.

Meanwhile, SURF's UP!

david fb

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411326 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/14/2012 7:18 PM
....a major quake the fires will start in the populated areas and then spread to the hills. Unfortunately there will be no water to put out the fires....
---
However, the same report goes on to discuss the ability to tap the extensive ground aquifers still accessed by wells

True, but that also assumes there will be electricity for the well pumps and that the distribution pipe system is intact. As the report mentioned,
"In the first few days after the quake, there may be no water available due to infrastructure breaks and loss of power. After that, repairs will bring supplies online slowly. Each agency will be busy with their own systems, and repairs may take weeks to 6 months or more. New water pipelines may be in very short supply, as they are not in stock and will need to be manufactured."

Even when they are working the water supply will be constrained. Water used for fire fighting is not available for drinking and vice versa. It is not hard to picture people looting stores for drinkable fluids....

DB2

Author: flyerboys Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411332 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/14/2012 10:30 PM
Recommendations: 3
DrBob2 has the correct worries and I have no disagreement.

What is missing is acknowledgment of the madcap patchwork quilt form the problems will most likely take (these conduits rupture and these do not, these wells pump because they have a reliable backup and these do not, etc, varying madly over the 100's of water and power jurisdictions and political boundaries all over the city. Patterns of earthquake destruction are viciously whimsical -- almost as much as the patterns of corrupt vs virtuous civil works and civil protection.

I will say good-bye to this thread with a reiteration of one of desertdave's [http://desertdavesteotwawkisurvivalguide.blogspot.com] antecedent slogans, BE PREPARED. (Oh, the Pederast's Society of America stole it? scandalous!!!).

My home, neighborhood, church (Mom's neighborhood) are all READY for the big fire, the Big Shake, and even the Tsunami. Ready mostly means crucial supplies well stored, crucial agreements regarding meeting and communications well laid, and crucial plans and contingencies thought through. Resiliency [http://www.resilientcommunities.com]. So far, mostly (oh we did have one huge fire within 500 meters of my house), it means a few delightful social occasions each year with potluck cookies and punch.

Preparedness ought be a Critical Part of your portfolio because natural disasters (and some man made ones) are more likely than many of the economic contingencies METARites correctly ponder.

david fb

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411334 of 465124
Subject: Re: Californians moving – to Texa Date: 12/14/2012 10:47 PM
I will say good-bye to this thread with a reiteration of one of desertdave's [http://desertdavesteotwawkisurvivalguide.blogspot.com] antecedent slogans, BE PREPARED.

Wasn't it Roosevelt who said "You seldom have trouble if you are prepared for it."

Desert (The world's greatest excuse pales in the face of mediocre performance.) Dave
-- (Quotation, with attribution, permitted and encouraged.)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement