UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (47) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744504  
Subject: Re: Retire Early Question Date: 4/23/2013 9:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Call me a commie and I have not had my first cup of Joe yet, but that was my first thought upon getting out of bed this morning.
Please point out the fallacy in this thinking - is health care so much better here that it's worth staying on the hamster wheel another 6+ years.

Never an easy question

There are some large issues. The health we all take for granted is largely due to a pharma industry and medical device industry that is fueled by America. Canada essentially recieves health care at a US provided discount, because we sell to them cheaper than we do here. Now of course we could sell for less here-- but then we would never recover the research -- otherwise known as a likely severe cut to new developments.

Why do we sell cheaper there? Because they will only pay a small price, that price is above manufacture price so the companies make money per pill, since the profit is built into the US prices.

Do you really want to see new stuff come at a slower pace? This is almost guaranteed.

The norm for care is just fine in both countries. The problems happen at the outer edges. Do you want to gamble with that? there are long waits for a number of procedures in Canada and it is extreme when you get away from population centers.

You also assume that things will work as well here as there.

You do not live in Canada. You live in a country that is sitting on a gold mine of oil and has an administration looking to stop the use of it, and buying energy companies in other type of energy that it puts out of business and sells to China at a discount.

You also live in a country with a massive deficit, what happens when the government pays for health care and runs out of money?

There are a lot of questions, and a lot of trust on a broken institution doing something very right.

This is a group that on a smaller scale has destryed education, and when you consider this is largely lib/progressive driven a group that has literally lost money running a bookie operation(in NY a liberal laboratory). you can also look around at LA, and zNYC, at Detroit and see what should work fine going to hell

i sit here with a pig ole Smith and Wesson, looking around at devastation fro my gun, and my consistently bad aim, and me putting an apple on your head and saying if I shoot this off, you win, and saying 'Do you feel lucky punk, do ya?"
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (47) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement