Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: spookysquid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 445731  
Subject: Call me Ishsquid Date: 10/18/2012 9:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
As google has so kinly reminded me, it is the 161st anniversary of Moby Dick. In honor of this meaningless milepost, I have started the book. I have something like 54 hours of in-flight time over the next week or so to make a good dent in it. Thankfully, project Guttenberg was willing to loan me a copy.

-spookysquid, hoping for an aisle seat
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sandyleelee Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411148 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 10/18/2012 11:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Skip Chapter 5.

SLL

Author: benjd25 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411153 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 10/18/2012 11:57 AM
Recommendations: 1
I've started that book twice...not going to start it again.

Author: spookysquid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411154 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 10/18/2012 12:10 PM
Skip Chapter 5.

SLL

Which chapter was that? The one about the sermon? I think it may be too late. Still, if you've read the Master and Commander series, you get a sense of how prime that "fish story" factors into a bygone sailor's thought processes. Whether that's accurate or not I don't know.

-spookysquid

Author: spookysquid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411155 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 10/18/2012 12:11 PM

Quitter. I read slower than my 8 yo. If I can muster up the fortitude, surely a bilge swillin' bubble head can. :)

-spookysquid

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411177 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 10/18/2012 3:28 PM
Recommendations: 2
It wasn't the most tedious old book I've ever tried to read (that honor goes to James Fenimore Cooper's "The Deerslayer"). But it was near the top of the list.

--FY

Author: Wessex99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411200 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 10/18/2012 7:56 PM

Me too.

I've decided I am far too much of a Philistine to read so-called classics if I don't actually like them. I'm willing to slog at non-fiction stuff to understand it, but not willing to slog and not enjoy a work of fiction.

Wessex

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411207 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 10/19/2012 2:16 AM
Recommendations: 2
If you'd rather listen, it's available (along with many other classics) here:

https://catalog.librivox.org/search.php?title=moby+dick&...

Author: dovbaer6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413011 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 11/14/2012 3:59 PM
love that book, just read it again a few months ago.

what struck me this time was the sly sense of humor and social commentary that Mellville slides into sailors and others conversations.

a progressive thinker, ahead of his time in a big way, but it's easy to miss that, especially if you've only seen the movie versions. In the movies (both the Gregory Peck and Patrick Stewart versions) it's all about Ahab's insane quest, but in the book is an entire subtext of human relations, even aspects of the class struggle.

didn't get that the first few times I read it. maybe that's because I was tripping so much back then, lol.

Author: spookysquid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413336 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 11/20/2012 11:09 AM
what struck me this time was the sly sense of humor and social commentary that Mellville slides into sailors and others conversations.

That's the only part I've enjoyed so far. The long ramblings that are just him showing off his research prior to writing are insanely tedious and I've actually broken my cardinal rule once or twice to skip whole sections.

-spookysquid, not going to finish it by Festivus

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413338 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 11/20/2012 11:45 AM

That's the only part I've enjoyed so far. The long ramblings that are just him showing off his research prior to writing are insanely tedious and I've actually broken my cardinal rule once or twice to skip whole sections.

-spookysquid, not going to finish it by Festivus

Actually, I believe those long ramblings were expected of novelists back in those days. I'm not sure why, but the majority of those old books are tediously long. I read the unabridged version of the Count of Monte Cristo and my eyes glazed over in sections. But I waded through it.

I think...perhaps...the audience relished those long long descriptive passages in the same way that we relish those long long car-chase scenes in the Jason Bourne flicks. It was entertainment for them. Remember, they had no TV, no computers.

Hard to imagine, I know.
Brrrrrr.

:)

AM

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413342 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 11/20/2012 12:24 PM

Actually, I believe those long ramblings were expected of novelists back in those days. I'm not sure why

a lot if it because they were published as serial
and paid by the word

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413343 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 11/20/2012 12:33 PM
and paid by the word

Is that what led to Proust?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwAOc4g3K-g

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413351 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 11/20/2012 2:04 PM

and paid by the word

Is that what led to Proust?

dunno about Proust...
but pretty sure about Dickens Tolstoy ConanDoyle Dostoyevsky

Author: dovbaer6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413529 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 11/25/2012 8:59 AM
when is Festivus this year?

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413536 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 11/25/2012 1:20 PM
Recommendations: 3
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murex_festivus

23 dec

Author: spookysquid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413581 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 11/26/2012 5:22 PM

10th of Tevet.

-meshuggasquid

Author: spookysquid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413582 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 11/26/2012 5:23 PM
Recommendations: 4
Actually, I believe those long ramblings were expected of novelists back in those days. I'm not sure why, but the majority of those old books are tediously long. I read the unabridged version of the Count of Monte Cristo and my eyes glazed over in sections. But I waded through it.

I think...perhaps...the audience relished those long long descriptive passages in the same way that we relish those long long car-chase scenes in the Jason Bourne flicks. It was entertainment for them. Remember, they had no TV, no computers.

Hard to imagine, I know.
Brrrrrr.

:)

AM

That sounds horrible! How on earth were you able to survive back then? :D

-spookysquid

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413586 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 11/26/2012 6:01 PM
That sounds horrible! How on earth were you able to survive back then? :D

-spookysquid

--------------

LOL!
Who told you my age!!!
Damn.
Can't trust anyone anymore.

AM

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413593 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 11/26/2012 6:48 PM
LOL!
Who told you my age!!!
Damn.
Can't trust anyone anymore.

AM

Shoot, AM. Everbody knows you're plenty-nine.

Count Upp

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413603 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 11/26/2012 11:31 PM
Shoot, AM. Everbody knows you're plenty-nine.

Count Upp

------------

Quiet, you!! :)

AM

Author: dovbaer6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414200 of 445731
Subject: Re: Call me Ishsquid Date: 12/3/2012 5:34 PM

10th of Tevet.

-meshuggasquid

A shlamazel falt oifen ruken un tseklapt zich dem noz.

(A fool falls on his back and bruises his nose).

it's not relevant, but I like it a lot

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement