UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zigmund555 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: calling Providian cust. service Date: 5/31/2003 12:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 17
Today I called to cancel my GetSmart Visa, issued by Providian.

At my high point of debt, I had 4 cards all close to their limits. This card was the second I snowballed, but I never got around to cancelling. I stuck in way in the back of the closet where I wouldn't grab it. This card has had a 0 balance for maybe 10 months now. My other 2 cards are a 0 balance discover (for cash back), and a CC through my bank (low fixed rate).

So I call to cancel my card and after waiting on hold and navigating the obnoxious menu system I final get to customer service. I asked them to cancel, and they said they were transferring me. I've never been transferred before! I figured from my reading this board they were going to try to offer me a better rate.

This is roughly how the conversation went:

Customer Service: How can I help you today?
Me: I called to cancel my account, and they transferred me over to you.
CS: Sir, I've reviewed your account history with us and noticed that you're an excellent customer.
Me: (Thinking to myself: I am?)
CS: Why do you want to cancel your account?
Me: I just don't need it anymore. I'm trying to pay off all of my cards and I don't need this card anymore.
CS: Sir, what would it take to keep your account open? What if I offered to lower your interest to 14.9%? (from about 16.5%)
Me: No thanks. My other cards are at 10%. (small fib ;) )
CS: Well, what if I offered you the lowest rate I'm authorized to offer.. 9.99%?
Me: Nope, not interested.

At this point the CS guy tries to convince me for another 5 minutes to keep the account open. I actually start to think it's not a bad deal. Then better judgement takes over.

Me: No. I just want to cancel the card.
CS: We're very sorry to lose your business Mr. Zigmund but I'm closing your account now.
Me: That will be reported as "closed at consumer's request" right?
CS: Absolutely.

Excellent.. 3 cards paid off, 2 closed. I'll keep the discover.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement