Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Let's say I have held stock XYZ for 11 months and want to lock in profits but also want to wait a month to make them LT. Can I write a coverd Call (in-the money) that expires after the 12th month and do that? (assuming it actually calls away my stock)

My understanding is that if you write/buy calls and puts they are generally ST, but if it causes the execution of buy/sell of underlying stock then it is used to adjust basis of the stock and not recognized until you sell that stock. (Correct?)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.