UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: yodaorange Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 465252  
Subject: Calpers raises premiums by 50%? Date: 4/16/2013 11:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 24
The California Public Employees’ Retirement System aka Calpers voted today to change the premiums they charge municipalities. [1] The issue is how Calpers “smoothes” the premiums they set. For example, the Calpers fund shrank from about $260 billion to $160 billion in the credit crash. Without smoothing, this would have caused Calpers to increase the premiums by ~ 60% in one year.

Instead of increasing the premiums abruptly, Calpers uses a 15 year time horizon to get back to their target fund balance. Today the board voted to change the time horizon from 15 years down to 5 years. This is significant. It means that any shortfalls will have to be made up 3 times as fast. Calpers is forecasting their assessments might have to increase by up to 50% over the next 5 years, due to this factor alone. California municipalities will not be thrilled about this, as the premiums were set to substantially increase without this change in smoothing.

Calpers has some significant issues confronting them:

1) Assumed 7.5% annual return over the infinite horizon. Calpers reduced this from 7.75% last year. Contrast this to Jeremy Grantham’s latest 7 year forecast that came out today. [2] It calls for Stocks to return -1.1% and bonds to return -0.9% REAL. If you assume 2.0% inflation, this translates to +.9%/+1.1% nominal. Let’s call it 1.0% per year for a 60/40 asset allocation. Contrast that to Calpers assumed 7.5% per year. This means they are likely to fall 6.5% further behind each and every year on average.

2) Stockton/San Bernardino bankruptcies. Stockton did win the latest round which kept Calpers with a higher standing in bankruptcy. I read the BK judges full opinion and think Calpers has a significant chance of losing at the actual bankruptcy trial. The judge had several comments along the lines that Calpers contracts were no different than any other contracts. He said one of the main purposes of BK law is to break contracts. It is IMPOSSIBLE to be certain how the judge will ultimately rule, but if you made me guess, I think Calpers will end up NOT being held superior to the bond holders. I am 51% confident that Calpers will have to give something. Let’s assume that Stockton is able to permanently reduce their payments to Calpers, and then what happens to the promises Calpers has made to employees? Will Calpers be able to arbitrarily reduce the pensions? Pension lawyers are NOT sure how this will all work out.

3) Most of the Calpers pensions have Cost of Living Increases built in. So even if the overall US wide solution is to increase inflation, it will NOT necessarily help Calpers out. Their liabilities will just increase alongside inflation.

BOTTOM LINE is that Calpers/CA pensions are in a perilous state IMO. Long term, I would not want to be Calpers pension recipient and/or a California muni bond holder. There is a reasonable chance that both of them will not get what they were promised.

Thanks,

Yodaorange

[1] Calpers changes smoothing from 15 years to 5 years
http://blogs.sacbee.com/the_state_worker/2013/04/calpers-boa...

[2] Jeremy Grantham 7 year forecasts
www.gmo.com
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement