UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 157  
Subject: Calypso Wireless Date: 6/28/2005 4:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hey there,
Have a stock I am ready to mention here...since it really doesn't fit any other boards.

Calypso Wireless (CLYW)
They are in the industry of improving wireless communications between devices. They ended up on my list about half a year ago when the created some new communication protocol. They are new, never made any money, only started to get clients, etc, etc....(all that bad stuff.)

BUT...I am keeping my eye on them for two reasons. 1) they seem to have an edge in getting satellite radio streams to mobile devices 2) they continue to innovate just like a bunch of nerds left alone (which they seem to be at the moment.)

So why here?
Well they seem to have a regular pattern of up and down. It seems that .85 - .90 is a good buying range with $1.20-$1.60 a good sell range after about six months or so. Not quick, but seems regular so far.
I have put in a limit for tomorrow...if it breaks .90 I will buy my first test batch. Since this is SUCH a risky stock, I am looking for 30% after commissions. I feel pretty comfortable that is possible given the market's reaction to this little little company.

Anyway, do you own DD and don't spend the rent money! I would be very interested in what everyone else digs up.

Buffy (who just has a few dollars free at the right time to try this one...)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 121 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 7/19/2005 10:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey there,
Just an update on this stock. The price came down to .92 yesterday, so I pulled the trigger. I bought a small position since this usually has been the base of the stock price.

I definitly expect to be holding this for about 6 months or so since that seems to be the cycle.

But, beware, this is a very risky stock so I only have about a tenth of my money in it.

Buffy (who plans to see about 1.30 for his sell point...)

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 122 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 8/15/2005 10:11 AM
Update.....Calypsso has been doing some decent research and development. They have also took a stake in a Hong Kong company recently.

The price has fluctuated a bit since I bought, but I expected that. This still looks like a tiny company that is trying to do the right things. I'll continue to hold my position for the next hypewave on this one.

Buffy (who would consider a couple more shares if he had cash...)

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 9/19/2005 11:30 AM
Buffy (who would consider a couple more shares if he had cash...)

Ok....the price has dropped a lot since I first bought. I had shares at .95c....so today I added some more at .75c. This will be my last buy in this stock...but I still think they have a decent company.

The biggest problem seems to be that all their work is in othe countries...South America, Spain, etc. So they are not getting a lot of covereage here in the states.

Anyway...my commissions with the old company were a bit high (sharebuilder)...so this buy(firstrade) will bring my cost average down a bit.

Buffy (who is holding for a while...)

Author: bud357mag One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 124 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 9/20/2005 3:09 PM
Congrats,you picked up 14% on your last buy in one day,good luck on the longer term.I would like to gamble on this one but it's a little dicey for me right now Cheers

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 125 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 9/20/2005 3:56 PM
Yeah, thanks for the toast....that was a quick rise...but my studies say this one can easily get over $1 on good news. So I really don't have a timeframe (other than, shorter than my long term stocks). Don't follow my plan...since I can't explain it more than I have watched this one for some time and like the company.

My final sell price would probably be in the $1.15 range. That should put me at 30% and I am out.

Buffy (who could explain more but has to run off to a meeting...)

ps....and I am not so sure about the risky part....what do you see as risky?

Author: lisadams Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 10/20/2005 4:54 PM
Buffy,
Are you still holding your Calypso stocks? Do you think over a period of more than 6 months they will be at more than 1$? I first heard about them last summer and have bought a bit. I am just going to wait and see.

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 127 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 10/23/2005 12:05 AM
Yeah, I am still in. I bought a little more to average down. The company has been making good strides in testing and stuff in other countries.
A little nervous at this price, but still holding.

Buffy (who does think this will get back over $1 with some good news...)

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 128 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 10/26/2005 3:47 PM
No longer a one horse show.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.asp?Symbol=US:CLYW&Feed=BW&Date=20051018&ID=5197953

Seems that even as a pink sheet, CLYW is aquiring other companies. This seems to be a good move to me because it shows that they are in a growth and expand frame of mind. Exactly what a young company needs to stay alive.

Buffy (who is still holding but with a small loss at the moment...)

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 129 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 11/2/2005 6:00 PM
Here is good stuff...

With an estimated 800 millions cellular phones to be sold world wide in 2005 (estimated by Frost & Sullivan), this order is just the beginning of Calypso entering the mobile market with the ASNAP(TM) patented technology,' also says Sarrazin.

Do your own due dilligence...

Buffy (who may have to buy more...)

Author: Haise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 130 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 11/24/2005 10:35 PM
Here is good stuff...

With an estimated 800 millions cellular phones to be sold world wide in 2005 (estimated by Frost & Sullivan), this order is just the beginning of Calypso entering the mobile market with the ASNAP(TM) patented technology,' also says Sarrazin.

Do your own due dilligence...

I would be leary of thinking that Calypso is going to jump from selling 4,300 phones in one year to 800 million a few years later like this article seems to imply. The number of cell phones sold every year doesn't matter because this technology requires Windows CE:

"When making a VoWLAN (Voice over Wireless LAN) call using Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT - News) Windows CE 5.0 platform SIP Client on Calypso C1250i WiFi-GSM-GPRS VoIP cellular phone, mobile subscriber will be able to save money on local or long distance call interconnecting with Skype (NASDAQ: EBAY - News) for its long distance call," also says Campuzano.

Most cell phones don't have Windows CE, so for now it's not going to work on most phones. There's definitely a market out there, but it's not going to be anywhere near 800 million phones a year. Still, it's an interesting company. They are still funding nearly all of their cash flow needs from the sale of stock, which will continue to dilute ownership until this company starts to get some outside funding. I may consider taking a small position, but I won't get too excited until the exec's show the ability to manage the growth phase well.

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 11/27/2005 9:46 PM
would be leary of thinking that Calypso is going to jump from selling 4,300 phones in one year to 800 million a few years later like this article seems to imply.

Not what I got out of that...all it seems to say to me is that there is a HUGE market for cell phones and this first order is just a small step toward gaining market share.

Anyway, CLYW has taking a big drop over the last week...all the way down to .50 before stopping. Not sure why, the only thing I can come up with is that someone is doin' a pump n dump...so I'll just hold on for a little while.

Also, the Windows thing is just this order, that is not the basis of the patent they are trying to build on....
------------
Calypso's patented ASNAP(TM) technology will enable cellular phones to automatically detect any available Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) and then seamlessly switch between the signals of a standard cellular link towers and an available short-range broadband network such as cable or DSL with Wi-Fi)
------------
The patent has also given Calypso the rights to offer license agreements to major mobile and ISP carriers as well as to cellular phones manufacturer and OEM's.
------------

So the Window's thing is just on OEM in a sea of people they could license to.

Buffy (who has been watching pretty close on this one...)

Author: Haise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 11/27/2005 11:20 PM
Not what I got out of that...all it seems to say to me is that there is a HUGE market for cell phones and this first order is just a small step toward gaining market share.

True, but I would prefer a more realistic estimate of phone users that would likely use the technology. These developments are difficult to predict, but Wi-Fi enabled phones could become a common feature because so many people have wireless networks at home and may get a better cell phone reception through their Internet than the GPRS cell phone network.

So the Window's thing is just on OEM in a sea of people they could license to.

If Windows isn't required, that opens up virtually the whole market. You obviously know more about the company than I do. I've always avoided stocks as cheap as this one in the past, but I can say that I understand Calypso's technology, the potential applications, and not to mention the revenue starting to pick up. The balance sheet isn't great, but for a research stage company, it's not that bad either.

Author: lisadams Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 134 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 12/14/2005 2:18 AM
Where are you guys able to find all this info on Calypso? All I see is the little news ticker on the stock quote page. And when I google them, I only get the basic info. Research pro I'm not, I'm just starting out.

I too was trying to figure out why the stock took the dip. Maybe it's a good one to buy and hold for a year or so. That's my plan at least.

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 135 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 12/14/2005 11:03 AM
Hey lisa,
I get most of my info long before I buy something. I stick it in my MSN watch folder and then just read the news releases on it. (You can also go to MSN and select the recent news link to the left of the stock page.)
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/rcnews.asp?Symbol=US%3aCLYW

Also, on the Calypso site they have lots of information about their product. In the investor section they should still have news releases also.

My thinking on this one has changed a little recently. I still hold my current set of shares. I am tempted with the price below .45c...but I still don't have a reason for it. What I am thinking is that they product works, and they have multiple successful field trials...so this leads me to think buy out. The price is relatively cheap now for someone to buy the company to get the patent.

The risk is what the buy out price will be. If it is lower than my cost average....I lose.

So, do your DD and don't put a large chunk of your money into this one. It is definitly a short termer right now.

Buffy (who is looking to get out of his GTW position but would have to realize the 42% haircut to free up that money...)

Author: Haise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 137 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 12/14/2005 4:08 PM
I found headlines through Yahoo Finance. Since it's listed on the pink sheets, the ticker is CLYW.PK instead of just CLYW (but Yahoo will let you know if you forget the .PK). Also, by clicking on Profile on the left side of the Yahoo Quotes page < http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=CLYW.PK > you can find the company's web site. They also have press releases and SEC filings available there in the Investors section. There is also a white paper there about their technology, though it may be a little on the technical side.

Another interesting way to dig up research is simply to run a Yahoo or Google search for the name of the company. You can usually find things that you wouldn't learn from your typical investor-oriented web sites.

Let me caution that the vast majority of these penny stocks never go anywhere. In my opinion, CLYW has more potential than most penny stocks, but that's not based on extensive research. This company will almost surely need to issue more shares to fund their growth, or they'll be purchased by a much larger company that can fund the technology (which is very likely). In either case, there probably wouldn't be much upside for current investors.

I say that not to scare anyone from investing in a "cheap" stock, but just so that your expectations for stocks like this one are realistic.

Author: lisadams Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 138 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 12/15/2005 1:22 AM
Well, it did recover some because it closed at .58 yeaterday. I have to admit I thought about selling, but the technology just seems so far advanced. It doesn't bother me to hold onto the stock for a few years. I'm not looking to make a quick buck, although, don't get me wrong that would be great. I just think there is potential here. Anyway, we are the only people I have found that have this stock!!

Author: lisadams Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 139 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 12/15/2005 1:27 AM
Ok, so I am going to show my stupidity here, but I thought it was good to buy in low and sell once it got high? Obviously I have no investing knowledge, I just read about something and if it sounds good I buy some shares and hope for the best. In your opinion, are you better of purchasing say Best Buy or some known company than taking the chance?

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 141 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 12/15/2005 11:22 AM
I just read about something and if it sounds good I buy some shares and hope for the best. In your opinion, are you better of purchasing say Best Buy or some known company than taking the chance?

This is so subjective a question, that what works for one, may not work for another. But I'll butt in and offer the thoughts your question brought up.

Your investing style is as good as it works for you. If you read about something, like it, invest in it, and make money (most of the time)....then it works for you.
I actually invest somewhat similarly to this. 85% of my decision to buy is based on news, products, customers. If all of those things tell me a company has something...then I will look at some numbers. I hate numbers, I am a literary person. I only resort to the numbers to see if they are making money or spending it on $3mill parties in Europe.

As for what you are better off buying....that depends again. Do you like risky stocks? That means that you should expect most of them to tank and one or two to skyrocket...so that you end up with more than you lost. Do you like more stability? That means you can get fewer big caps and earn a little bit from most to cover the tiny amount you lose on a couple. Basically it all comes down to consistency, effort, and can you sleep at night.

So, for me, only about 10-15% of my money goes into stocks like CLYW. (and SIRI). The rest goes into more growth companies and dividend payers. But like I said before, I am consistent with my moves in each arena. Don't change you plan on emotion or wallstreet babble. Follow the plan to each milestone...only then re-evaluate.

Buffy (who isn't a guru, but has some war wounds to live with...)

Author: Haise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 144 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 12/15/2005 11:51 AM
Ok, so I am going to show my stupidity here, but I thought it was good to buy in low and sell once it got high? Obviously I have no investing knowledge, I just read about something and if it sounds good I buy some shares and hope for the best. In your opinion, are you better of purchasing say Best Buy or some known company than taking the chance?

Good question. The oft-repeated "buy low, sell high" advice requires some clarification. The share price itself doesn't really mean anything. Consider how CLYW and BRK-B have performed recently: < http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=CLYW.PK,BRK-B&d=s >.

Say you had $10,000 to invest on September 1st. CLYW was trading around 80 cents a share, while Berkshire's Class B shares were about $2,800. Was Berkshire "expensive" just because it was priced so much higher? Was Calypso necessarily "cheap?" The investor who bought Berkshire would now be up about 6% while the investor of Calypso would have lost nearly half their original ten-grand.

When I look to "buy low," I'm looking for stocks that have been oversold by the market due to bad news, or news that wasn't as good as the market expected (Best Buy is a possible candidate for this). Or maybe I see better growth prospects ahead than what most analysts predict (I think many electronics consumers were in a position to see the iPod's success before Wall Street caught on). There's more to it than just looking for penny stocks. After all, it's rare to find a penny stock that isn't cheap for good reason, but you can often find higher-priced stocks that turn out to be good buys in the long run.

This approach requires understanding the companies and knowing why you expect them to be successful. Doing this means you're not just taking a chance and hoping for the best, but that you have legitimate reasons to expect a company to grow and you'll be able to track their success (or see their failures and sell before a flurry of analysts cut their ratings, which almost never happens before a large drop in the price). :)

Still, don't interpret what I'm saying as advice to sell or avoid Calypso. Like I said before, I haven't fully researched the company and it may very well be worthy of a small investment. I personally wouldn't bank more than 5% of my portfolio on it just because there are some significant risks that go along with most penny stocks, but some companies are able to rise out of penny stock status with the right product or service and management team.

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 12/20/2005 11:07 AM
Ok....the market is looking too juicy today. I had to pick up some more shares of CLYW. I had planned to do it at .45, but with the news of the aquicision(?) finalized I decided to just pick em up at .50.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I had to close out of two losing positions to get the money. I took a 45% loss in GTW and a 7% loss in Jones Soda. The Jones thing was just because I couldn't wait...I still am not sure what was wrong with my purchase of GTW...I thought for sure they'd hit $6 again when I bought...but no such luck.

So that means I am betting on getting all of that loss back with the investment in CLYW and in the addition to my SIRI position. (BTW - the media has been on a total smear campaign on SIRI the last couple of days so the stock has dropped back to buying range for me)(More on that on the SIRI board.)

Do your own DD and remember that when others are running scared there may be bargins out there.

Buffy (who is off to the SIRI board to see if his ideas hold water...)

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 146 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 12/23/2005 6:29 PM
"This initial purchase order of 35,000 End User licenses of the Calypso Sleipner CoMob software represents the beginning of our licensing plans.

This is good to see. Long term revenues come from licensing instead of selling. It is the new/current revenue business.

Looks good to me.

Buffy (who isn't here 'cause he is on vacation...)

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152 of 157
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 3/9/2006 9:02 PM
I still don't get this company...well I get it...but for some reason it is SOOO far off the radar.

Here is new info:
"The Calypso C1250i WiFi-GSM Dual Mode VoIP cellular phone will be demonstrated on T-Mobile -Deutsche Telekom DT mobile network and the ASNAP(TM) Session Controller (ASC(TM)) to global mobile carriers & ISP's at the CTIA Wireless 2006," says Alessandro Valenti, Vice President of Research & Development of Calypso Wireless Inc.

Mobile users will be able to download the Calypso Seamless Fixed-Mobile Convergence (SFMC) ASNAP(TM) software on to Hewlett Packard HPQ iPAQ(TM) or Dell DELL AXIM(TM) PDA's to enjoy the benefits and savings of seamless connectivity.

This means not only cell phones. The sofware can be used on PDA's. That is amazing. No?

Well, I guess the $0 for revenues may have something to do with it. The owe about $1.3 mill in debt after you account for their current cash and equipment. Not sure why there is no money in cost of goods sold since they signed a few contracts this year.

The drop over the last few months has me sitting at a pretty large (%) loss, but not a large $$ cause of the penny price. It would seem to me that if they did manage a few more contracts next year, they would be a prime buyout oportunity.

Oh well.

Buffy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement