Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: acejustice2 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1108  
Subject: CAMBRIDGE INDEX CREATED! Date: 6/5/2001 2:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Here on The Cambridge Group board, I often idle away your valuable time with my hopeless dreams of an ideal portfolio that I would like to have if I had the money right now. Of course, I will never have an "ideal" portfolio, since the stock prices of even the best of companies cannot be predicted with 100% accuracy. As it is currently, I own 6
stocks, but there are 7 more that I would like to have. I have decided on what percentage I want all of these stocks to take up in my portfolio, but since I'm unable hold these right now, I came up with a solution to satisify my hunger for these stocks. If I invested in
these stocks later, I would wonder how they would have performed, had I invested in them. I can't believe it hasn't occured to me already. I have decided to create a portfolio here on the Fool based on these 13 stocks and their percentages.
I call it the Cambridge Index. At 11 am central time on 6/5/01, I marked down the stock prices of the stocks that I would like to hold. Then I converted the percentages to dollars based on a theoretical $1000. (For example, 1000 times .174, etc.) I then took the converted percentage and divided it by the stock price to find its number of shares. I then input this data into a Fool portfolio so that I can track it. Here's my data:

Microsoft 174 174 divided by 72.21 is 2.41 shares
Coca-Cola 154 154 divided by 46.65 is 3.30 shares
Gateway 126 126 divided by 17.00 is 7.41 shares
American Tower 116 116 divided by 24.86 is 4.67 shares
Edison Schools 69 69 divided by 25.00 is 2.6 shares
Amazon 51 51 divided by 16.57 is 3.1 shares
McGraw-Hill 51 51 divided by 67.36 is .76 shares
Pfizer 51 51 divided by 42.98 is 1.2 shares
Corning 45 45 divided by 19.65 is 2.3 shares
Mead 45 45 divided by 28.83 is 1.57 shares
Texas Instruments45 45 divided by 35.90 is 1.3 shares
UPS 45 45 divided by 58.25 is .78 shares
Famous Dave's 28 28 divided by 8.38 is 3.34 shares
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement