Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: WhiskeyRiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 22159  
Subject: Camera for Grab Shots Date: 1/26/2005 8:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

I carry a little Canonette 35mm around with me along with a Canon S50 digital when I don't wanna' lug my F100 or Bronica around.

Frankly, my little 30 year old Canonette just doesn't give me the sharpness I desire and the S50 has a fairly long lag when starting it and taking the photo that I've missed a few "grab" shots.

I'm thinking along the lines of a Contax G1 or G2 or maybe the Canon Pro 1(5 or 8 meg)

Contax probably can't be beat for overall sharpness of image but maybe the Pro 1 would be a good compromise.

I'd be appreciative of your opinions.

-Jim
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jlcutler Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7643 of 22159
Subject: Re: Camera for Grab Shots Date: 1/26/2005 8:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Since you seem to like the Canon lines, I might suggest you take a look at the Powershot series. I have the Canon Powershot A80, and my brother just got himself the Canon Powershot A95 for Christmas.

The cameras are relatively small, seem to be pretty quick on startup and meet our needs for sharp candid shots of my kids, snowstorms, highway accidents (he is a firefighter), etc.

Hope this helps,
Jimmy

Author: davekone Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7644 of 22159
Subject: Re: Camera for Grab Shots Date: 1/26/2005 9:25 AM
Jim, what do you take photos of? Do you track moving objects, is landscapes your thing, need a lot of zoom, more wide angle?? Give me some more facts.

Dave Kone

Author: WhiskeyRiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7645 of 22159
Subject: Re: Camera for Grab Shots Date: 1/26/2005 9:58 AM
Landscapes predominately but one of my joys is walking around Manhattan taking grab shots as I pass. A child petting a horses nose over by Central Park, a skater in mid flight as he or she tumbles. Stuff like that. A lot of things that I just happen to see and pass quickly.

I bought a Canon s50 for just that purpose but find the shutter lag a little long and startup time a little long as well. I tried keeping the camera on all the time but it burns batteries pretty quickly that way!

Normally I take my trusty F100 but when on business or pleasure, sometimes a smaller lighter rig is better.

I'm kinda' leaning toward the Contax G2 just for image quality reasons but digital would be preferable in this instance.

Thanks for asking!

-Jim

Author: riverlad Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7646 of 22159
Subject: Re: Camera for Grab Shots Date: 1/26/2005 10:31 AM
I've been enjoying a Contax TVS III for just that purpose. The size is small enough to carry in a belt case, the Zeiss zoom optics are superb and, with a 12 exposure roll of Fuji Superia 200 film, it doesn't take long to finish a roll, take it in for a 20 min. turn-around develop-only and head home for a quick scan. Nearly the convenience of digital, but with the bonus of film quality. The downside of most point-and-shoot cameras is that, when you come across a good landscape or other high-quality potential situation, the image quality is inferior.

Unfortunately, the little Contax with its sapphire shutter release and titanium case is a bit pricey, but for the purpose does a great job.

Author: davekone Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7647 of 22159
Subject: Re: Camera for Grab Shots Date: 1/26/2005 10:55 AM
Get a Canon 20d or 300d (Digital Rebel) and lens or two. Shutter lag will be gone as compared to a P&S digital.

David

Author: averagjoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7648 of 22159
Subject: Re: Camera for Grab Shots Date: 1/26/2005 11:14 AM
Recommendations: 2
For those occasions when your trip is not for the purpose of photography, but you want a just-in-case camera along anyway, the choice is clear: a small digital that fits any pocket. Canon, Olympus, Nikon, etc, all have comparable models in this category. Film cameras for this purpose are passe.

~aj

Author: SuaSponteMark Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7661 of 22159
Subject: Re: Camera for Grab Shots Date: 1/27/2005 6:09 PM
Recommendations: 3
Jim,

I just bought a Canon Powershot S1 IS and I love it.

10x optical zoom and image stabilization but small enough to tote about easily - I bought it just for what you mentioned - I don't want to haul around my F100 everywhere.

I keep the Canon in my arm rest storage in my car so it's always close at hand.

So far I'm very impressed. Even at max zoom it still is F3.1. It zooms very quickly and the IS allows you to take nice shots, handheld.

I bought this and an underwater housing for my trip to the BVI next month.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=9824&sa=true

Mark

Author: SuaSponteMark Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7663 of 22159
Subject: Re: Camera for Grab Shots Date: 1/28/2005 7:04 AM
One other item - as you're a fellow SLR user, the S1 IS is built somewhat in the SLR model, in that it has a decent handgrip and isn't lost in one's hands.

I was deciding between this and one of the Canon Powershot SD-200 type cameras and the larger IS won out over pocket portability because it takes some effort to get used to the tiny SD-200 type cameras and their controls are not as intuitive and the buttons are smaller.

Mark

Author: davekone Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7665 of 22159
Subject: Re: Camera for Grab Shots Date: 1/28/2005 7:46 AM
Just don't try to take an action shot with the S1 IS. The viewfinder is electronic and freezes when focus is achieved, if your panning with a moving object this is very bad. I returned S1 IS camera because of this, otherwise is took a fine photo and the IS coupled with the huge zoom range was great. Actually without the IS when zoomed you would be extremely luck to get a clear shot hand held.

Dave Kone

Author: SuaSponteMark Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7679 of 22159
Subject: Re: Camera for Grab Shots Date: 1/28/2005 3:54 PM
Dave,

You're absolutely right, and as a frequent action photographer this was annoying. I bit my lip and compromised, given the other features and being able to price this for $325.

Mark

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement