UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFBigFrog Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3179  
Subject: Re: now 'n later Date: 7/4/2007 1:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 41
Can anyone provide a reason why a new investor wouldn't wait until at least the NDA is filed, if not wait into Q1 '08 before putting cash into this opportunity?

The market is faster than we are. News is generally priced so quickly into a company's stock that we mere mortal individual investors will rarely (if ever) be able to achieve excess profits from investing in line with the headlines. As a result, an investor's primary options are:

#1) Anticipate the likely headlines and invest before they break.
#2) Determine where the market overreacted one way or the other in response to a headline, and invest to take advantage of that overreaction.
#3) Ignore the news all together and either index or invest based on pure fundamental and business analysis.

Clearly Acusphere does not qualify as a decent investment under #3 at the present time. The company is hemorrhaging cash, is trading above what its book value would be if it just threw in the towel and gave up, and has essentially no real revenue.

That would mean that the argument for investing is largely based on #1 and #2.

Let's address #2 first. Short term, the expensive financing, executive defections, and failure of Imagify to be a "brainless slam-dunk" approvable compound by the FDA have been a trifecta of bad news. No sane CFO would have voluntarily left this close to the Big Pay Day of Imagify's approval. Which likely means one of two things is true:
a) The ex-CFO was pushed out the door for something like either poor cash management or poor management of the company's most recent round of financing. The code phrase "pursue other interests" in the press release ( http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070625/20070625005431.html?.v=1 ) is often, but not always, code for "we don't want you around any more, please leave."
b) The ex-CFO had enough information from being plugged into the company and its approval efforts to believe that Imagify would not be approved and wanted to be the first rat to flee the sinking ship.

I don't have enough data to know which (if either) of the two scenarios is true. Given Acusphere's stock market performance since the CFO resignation announcement, you could conceiveably make a case that the market is starting to anticipate "b". Which means that if "a" is the truth, the news isn't as bad as the market projected. That would give investors who bought subsequent to the resignation news the potential opportunity to profit from a relief rally.

Of course, that relief rally is really only does anyone any good if there's a positive headline (#1 from the list above) out there waiting to be written. The headline that says "Imagify Approved." From what I've seen, it has the potential to be a blockbuster compound, if it's approved for use in the U.S. The wild card, aside from any testing results that may come up surprisingly bad, is the FDA -- which has been hyper-cautious about approving new treatments in a post Vioxx world.

Unlike a Pfizer or a Merck, which have stong revenues from existing products and can survive something like the loss of Vioxx or the failure of a clinical trial, Acusphere has almost no revenue to fall back on, should Imagify bite the dust. About the only rational reasons I can see to own shares in the company is a belief that either:
I) Imagify will be approved, or
II) The company's intellectual capital is worth at least the premium over its book value less anticipated burn that the market is valuing it at today if Imagify not approved.

Frankly, as an investor in Acusphere, I'm very much hoping for Imagify to be approved -- but I certainly can't predict the FDA. If it is approved, then that's wonderful. If it's not approved, I very much doubt the market would react favorably, and I wouldn't count on anything near the current price in a salvage sale. While I am an Acusphere shareholder, it's really only a small fraction of our overall portfolio -- somewhere in the magnitude of 0.5%-1%. I'm willing to take a calculated speculation -- especially when there's at least some positive data to back it up -- but I'm not willing bet the farm on one.

And that, my friend, is exactly what an investment in Acusphere is right now -- a calculated speculation that there will be a headline that reads "Imagify Approved." If that headline gets written, the market will very likely react to it far more quickly than you can. Of course, if that headline never does get written, or if the opposite headline is written, it could go all the way to $0. Such is the nature of investing in small companies with little more than research to their names.

Best regards,
-Chuck

Disclosure: At the time I wrote this, I owned shares of Acusphere and Merck.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement