UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: crackdclaw Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127777  
Subject: Re: Borrower vs. Lender paid PMI Date: 4/16/2013 4:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Can anyone tell me whether Borrow or Lender Paid PMI.....

Well, AJ just provided a fantastic analysis and I would agree with everything she outlined. You do know, this would have been a fair question to ask of the lender who provided the quotes. I suggest you ask your lender, see if they nail it as accurately as AJ. Also, I pulled up rates, and the difference I'm seeing is only a quarter point in rate for the two options. Not sure why your lender is showing a 5/8ths spread of 3.5 to 4.125 for the two options. While the loan amount drives that to some extent, it's rare to see that big a change in rate.

If I go with Borrow Paid PMI, I will pay $30 extra per month
<snip>
If I go with Lender Paid PMI, I will pay $100 extra per month for the life of the loan.

The borrower paid MI comes to $640. + $70. or $710. The lender paid MI with the higher rate comes to $691. Add your extra payments and you are at $740. / $791. I understand, eventually the MI drops off, but your calculations for mailing in extra to reduce principal are off. AJ showed how much of each first payment goes toward interest. The balance of payment is applied to principal, and that figure is not a $70. a month difference. Quick calculation has me at about $25. a month.

I'm lost as to why you would add $30. to one option and $70 to the other option?

AJ ~

The borrower paid PMI loan will cost you less, starting with month 1, assuming you can afford the additional cost of the PMI in your cash flow initially.

AJ - you really rock. They way you evaluate info and outline answers is outstanding. I have a guess of your occupation but don't know for sure. You do certainly know the servicing side of the mortgage industry. Why don't you originate?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Implications of the Ballad of Ted Plotz
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement