Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFMileHigh Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 52491  
Subject: Can Arrow be the next Smallville? Date: 10/12/2012 8:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
'Morning Fools,

Yesterday, I published a piece about the new show Arrow, which you can find here:

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2012/10/11/will-this-n...

I had two reactions in watching the premiere:

1. Solid action. It can't be easy making an archer look like a badass, but Stephen Arnell pulled it off nicely. Also, I like how he plays the character -- darker than the Ollie I remember from the comics and from the old GL/GA series, but appropriate for what the script called for: an out-for-vengeance vigilante. (In this case, vengeance for those who'd been hurt by Starling City's corrupt elite.)

2. Weak supporting characters and plenty of holes in the plot. I don't get why Ollie says the island "forged" him into a weapon. The script makes clear he's burdened with a sense of atonement, but what does that have to do with mastering archery and turning yourself into a weapon a la Batman? Maybe this is something the writers will get to in subsequent episodes, but the lack of clear motivating factors makes the relationships shown on screen clunky, and in some cases weird. (Like with his little sister.)

Nevertheless, on the whole, I think there's potential for the character and this show. Can it be the next Smallville? Stylistically, I hope it doesn't come to that. But I also don't think it needs to in order for Arrow to have a good long run.

FWIW and Foolish best,

Tim

--

TMFMileHigh
Rule Breakers Analyst, Supernova Odyssey I Portfolio Contributor
w: http://timbeyers.me
Follow @TMFRuleBreakers on Twitter!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement