No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi everyone!

I'm brand-spanking-new here, so be gentle. I tried to search the FAQ's, and even read the All About IRA's article - but it still wasn't completely clear...

I recently married and moved abroad with my husband. I've JUST BEGUN getting a grip on our finances, and since we're already in heavy debt, I've just begun contributing to an efund, and thinking about retirement planning. I'm almost 27, DH is 29.

DH has an IRA. I don't.

However, I am no longer living or working in the US. I now work for a foreign company, but still have a US billing address, US bills, US bank accounts, credit cards, and US debt. This is a temporary situation - we plan to live abroad for maybe another year or so. My question is, does anyone know if I can open an IRA account NOW and begin contributing to it? We DID file taxes in the US for 2002 (so that's yes, right??).

Thanks in advance!
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.