Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: kbedwards Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 27657  
Subject: Can I contribute to my wife's ROTH? Date: 10/11/2006 10:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
She is a full-time mom with no earned income, and due to the fact that she has a great (but closed to new investors) mutual fund in her ROTH account, I would REALLY like to add to it.

I know one of the requirements of the ROTH is that you must have earned income, but does that apply if you file married/jointly (I do have earned income)? Why would it matter? I also think I saw mention that there is a way around this.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: wcfenton Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14528 of 27657
Subject: Re: Can I contribute to my wife's ROTH? Date: 10/11/2006 2:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
She is a full-time mom with no earned income, and due to the fact that she has a great (but closed to new investors) mutual fund in her ROTH account, I would REALLY like to add to it.

I know one of the requirements of the ROTH is that you must have earned income, but does that apply if you file married/jointly (I do have earned income)? Why would it matter? I also think I saw mention that there is a way around this.

-----------------

This Fairmark Press piece should give you the answers you are looking for:

http://www.fairmark.com/rothira/spousal.htm

Regards,
Bill

Author: kbedwards Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14530 of 27657
Subject: Re: Can I contribute to my wife's ROTH? Date: 10/11/2006 3:56 PM
Recommendations: 0
Awesome! Thanks SO much...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement