Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jjbklb Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 15332  
Subject: Can I Get A Smile With That Flat? Date: 6/10/2003 3:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 45
Yesterday was perfect wheather for a nice long bike ride.

I took my trike recumbent & hit the road.The other end of town had quite a few new developements on the pricey end,so I thought I drive around & admire the architecture with the upscale landscaping.

I kind of lost my sense of direction as I twisted & curved through roads that often ended in cul-de-sacs.I was just out enjoying the ride,so it didn't matter to me if I had to ride around awhile till I found my way back in the direction of home.

I was going down a very steep hill.The trike really flies on a downhill.

Thump,thump,thump....the left front tire went flat,pulling me to the left as I braked to a stop.

Oh well,I got my tire levers out & a spare tube.I removed the old one & found that the rim tape was not completely covering a spoke end.This punctured the tube on the inner aspect of the tube.

On putting in the spare tube,I find that the presto valve is defective & won't hold air.Not wanting to damage the rim,I am going to have to walk the bike home.

I figured that I was a good 8 miles from home.If you ever had to push a trike bent,you know that you can't stand up straight & push it.It's low to the ground,requiring you to lean way over the whole time.You hold onto the top of the seat & continuously lean over to correct the steering .

If that wasn't bad enough,I wasn't quite sure which way was home.There were a lot of really steep hills that I was not looking forward to going down,then finding that it was the wrong way & have to push it back up.

I passed by a home that had a construction van in the drive & the garage door open.Giving a "Helloo" into the garage,a workman came out.

I asked if he could give me directions to the nearest main road that would lead me in the direction of home.I told him where I was headed.He saw that I would have to push the trike for many miles.

Wasn't I surprised when he went over to the van & started to unload the back.He said,"I'll give you a lift,just throw the bike into the back".

Not only did he get me back to the main road,He drove me all the way home.

I thanked him & tried to give him $10 so he & his coworker could go have a few beers on me.He adamently refused a tip.

No thanks,he said."I was just glad to be neighborly.Just return the favor to the next guy who needs help."

I started out thinking that my day was ruined when I got that flat.
Who would have thought that it would end in a smile?

john

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement