Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Re: Roth IRA's Date: 11/4/2001 7:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Can I put $20,000 into each of my kids accounts, claim them as earning income and then open Roth's for them?

No. They have to actual earn income by providing a service in order to qualify for a Roth IRA. Assuming you are married, you and your wife can put $20,000 into an account for each child without triggering gift tax return filing requirements. This amount includes birthday gifts and other non-support related items.

Lets say they each earned $5,000 in their account next year. My daughter is 2 and my son only 6 months.

Well, at those ages, it's extrememly unlikely that they can provide any service for which they could be paid. If the $5,000 is dividend and interest income *only*, you have the option of reporting the income on your return or your childrens'. If it is profit from trading, your children will have to file individual returns.

My next question is for day trading. Because they are short term trades, do the losses just get subtracted from the gains? Example Gains $40,000, losses $26,000. Am I only responsible for income tax on the $14,000 gained?

Yes. Tax is assessed on the net gain. You are not responsible for the income tax, your children would be. After all, after you give it to them, it's their money. You may have another more serious problem. When you open accounts in their names, the accounts will most likely be custodial accounts. As custodian of their money, you have a fiduciary responsibility to prudently care for the assets. If you fail at day trading, as most day traders do, your children can years down the road sue you. This may seem ridiculous, but stranger things have happened. If you are successful, your children gain access to the funds at age 18 (generally) and can do whatever they want with the money -- so you may want to investigate something other than a custodial account. You might want to look at www.fairmark.com for more information on the pros and cons of different ways of transferring assets to minors.

Ira
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement