Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Can I take a section 179 deduction AND a depreciation deduction for my car, or do I have to pick EITHER a 179 deduction OR a depreciation deduction?

To take a section 179 deduction for the car, it needs to be used more than 50% for business. If you meet that requirement, you can take both sec 179 and depreciation, but the total of the two is limited.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.