Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I just took a long-term capital loss on some old tech stock, and I have approx. $9k in a traditional IRA that I'd like to convert to a Roth. This is a rollover from a 401k so I never deducted any contributions to this IRA. I'm in the 27% tax bracket so my conversion taxes would be ~$2430. Can I use the capital loss to offset those taxes, or can capital losses only be used to offset capital gains or regular income?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
"I just took a long-term capital loss on some old tech stock, and I have approx. $9k in a traditional IRA that I'd like to convert to a Roth. This is a rollover from a 401k so I never deducted any contributions to this IRA. I'm in the 27% tax bracket so my conversion taxes would be ~$2430. Can I use the capital loss to offset those taxes, or can capital losses only be used to offset capital gains or regular income?"
Your Roth conversion actually is regular taxable income, you just don't get the cash. So you can use $3,000 of your capital losses this year, absent any gains, and carry over the balance to future years. Which is true either way, without regard to the IRA transaction.

Print the post Back To Top
Advertisement