Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: andy2003 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121572  
Subject: Can I use a capital loss to offset Roth tax? Date: 11/11/2003 4:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just took a long-term capital loss on some old tech stock, and I have approx. $9k in a traditional IRA that I'd like to convert to a Roth. This is a rollover from a 401k so I never deducted any contributions to this IRA. I'm in the 27% tax bracket so my conversion taxes would be ~$2430. Can I use the capital loss to offset those taxes, or can capital losses only be used to offset capital gains or regular income?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Wradical Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67525 of 121572
Subject: Re: Can I use a capital loss to offset Roth tax? Date: 11/11/2003 4:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"I just took a long-term capital loss on some old tech stock, and I have approx. $9k in a traditional IRA that I'd like to convert to a Roth. This is a rollover from a 401k so I never deducted any contributions to this IRA. I'm in the 27% tax bracket so my conversion taxes would be ~$2430. Can I use the capital loss to offset those taxes, or can capital losses only be used to offset capital gains or regular income?"
Your Roth conversion actually is regular taxable income, you just don't get the cash. So you can use $3,000 of your capital losses this year, absent any gains, and carry over the balance to future years. Which is true either way, without regard to the IRA transaction.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement