UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bether One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76421  
Subject: Can someone help, please? Date: 10/12/1999 3:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm new to Fooldom, and have learned a lot in recent weeks jumping around this site.

As I'm trying to get my finances aligned with some of the strategies I'm reading about, I'm confused as to whether or not to convert my traditional IRA account to a Roth IRA.

I'm 29 yrs. old, and my old (traditional) IRA has about 19K in it. I've tried to use the calculator at:

http://www.calcbuilder.com/cgi-bin/calcs/IRA2.cgi/themotleyfool

but am confused on most of the questions, so I don't think I'm doing it properly.

But, logically, since I have about 30 years until retirement, it would seem that if I rolled over the 19K traditional IRA into the Roth, I'd be way ahead in $$ when I retire.

1) Is my assumption correct (ahead of the game with Roth?)
2) Can I still withdraw the amount I "roll over" for educational purposes for my son's college without penalty. (I know that the contributions themselves toward Roth can be withdrawn for this)
3) What fees/taxes can I expect to incur for this roll -over? Just taxes or taxes + a penalty?
4) Is there a way to pay the fees/taxes using funds from the IRA itself, or does it need to be cash?

Thanks for your help! I'd be happy to answer any other relevant questions if you wouldn't mind assisting me.

Learning to be Foolish-
Beth
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement