Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 7
Can someone in a short post give me an over view of the Hope credit. I wan to go back to school full time in the Fall and want to know If I can use this. I will be attenting A state community college, I am 24 married, not living with parents.
=== === ===
Per p. 234 of IRS Publication 17, you must meet all of the following requirements to claim the Hope credit for an eligible student:
1) Did not have expenses that were used to figure a Hope credit in any two earlier years.
2) Had not completed the first two years of postsecondary education (generally, the freshman and sophomore years).
3) Was enrolled at least half-time in a program that leads to a degree, certificate, or other recognized educational credential, for at least one academic period in the tax year.
4) Was free of any federal or state felony conviction for possessing or distributing a controlled substance as of the end of the tax year.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.