Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 95885  
Subject: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 6:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The Packers offense is one of the best of all time, mostly due to Aaron Rogers but their defense is still not very good. What I'm wondering is if they can get through the playoffs with such a suspect defense. They've been doing it with take-a-ways throughout the season but I just don't think they can do that in the playoffs and still win.

They've beaten New Orleans, Atlanta, Chicago and the Giants in the regualr season and those are all potential playoff teams they may face. The didn't play the 49ers or the Cowboys, the other teams they might face. One thing I will say is that the Saints aren't the same team that Green Bay beat in the first game. I'm not so sure the Packers could beat them today but the other teams they've faced are probably not a match for them. The Giants might be able to beat them but it depends on which Giants team shows up. Eli Manning has been playing incredibly well and the Gianst defense has been coming back from a fairly dismal start to the season.

The big one though to me is the 49ers. I honestly don't think the Packers could beat them if they played right now. Injuries can obviously change everything by the time the playoffs roll around but as it stands, the niners are an excellent all-around team.

How does everyone else see it?

Calabogie
Print the post Back To Top
Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90008 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 7:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm bummed that you rate the Bears above the Lions as far as playoff teams ste concerned

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90009 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 7:49 AM
are concerned.

The Bears are in a free fall without Cutler.

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90010 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 7:59 AM
The Bears are in a free fall without Cutler.

If they had Cutler and Forte I could see them winning at least 1 playoff game and maybe more. I could even see them giving the Pack a run for thier money. Without those 2 though I just don't see how they can do much.

Calabogie

Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90013 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 9:25 AM
The Packers remind me of what the Colts tried to do over the last decade - build an outstanding offense that can get out in front and then let their defense stop the pass.

It all works very well as long as you jump out with a decent lead - not so much if you are playing from behind. As someone else mentioned previously if Aaron Rodgers was out for the season, one has to wonder if they would be in the same boat as the Colts this year.

Personally, I don't think so.

While the strategies of the teams are similiar, I think GB is a much better team than we saw from the Colts when they went to the SB. Their offenses are similiar and I would still rank Manning higher than Rodgers when Manning was at his best but the difference for me is the ancillary parts of the game - Special Teams, coaching (especially), discipline, etc.

I think GB - with homefield advantage until the big game, has a clear shot at winning it all with no losses.

Author: XMFMrchw Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90015 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 9:57 AM
The Packers can't beat the 49ers but the Cardinals can?

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90017 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 10:20 AM
The Packers can't beat the 49ers but the Cardinals can?

I'm not basing my opinion on a single game. Heck, the Colts could beat the Packers if the ball bounced their way and Rodgers had problems. One game doesn't really say much about a team and the Niners have been a lot better throughout the season than they were yesterday.

I might add that Fitzgerald can make ANY team look bad. That guy is really amazing.

Calabogie

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90019 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 10:51 AM
>> One game doesn't really say much about a team and the Niners have been a lot better throughout the season than they were yesterday. <<

Yeah, but going back several games, not just the last one, the 49ers have been worse than awful in the red zone -- just about as bad as any team I've ever seen in the NFL. You can't usually beat elite teams with nothing but field goals.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90020 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 10:59 AM

I see it totally opposite. I think that because the Packers defense isn't on the same level as the offense, people think it's not a very good defense.

It's not the best, but it's good enough. But I just don't think it really matters. The only thing that can really hurt the Packers is an injury to Aaron Rogers. That offense averages 35 points a game. And while the defense isn't great, it's not going to give up the money points. Green Bay opponents average 21 points a game.

That's a point differential that pretty hard for any team to overcome.

So is the frozen tundra. The Packers get home field for the playoffs, and I don't see any way that anyone can beat them.

Author: wasmick Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90022 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 11:20 AM
The Giants might be able to beat them but it depends on which Giants team shows up. Eli Manning has been playing incredibly well and the Gianst defense has been coming back from a fairly dismal start to the season.

The big one though to me is the 49ers. I honestly don't think the Packers could beat them if they played right now. Injuries can obviously change everything by the time the playoffs roll around but as it stands, the niners are an excellent all-around team.

Manning is playing well, particularly in the 4th quarter but a big part of that is because he has to. The defense can stop no one. It's not a sustainable model for winning in the NFL. The Giants defense is atrocious as last night's game clearly showed. The only way the win this year is by hanging around till the end and then winning at the last second. As I said, that's not sustainable.

Also, having played a team previously means very little in the playoffs.

The Packers are the best team in football this year. The 49ers are amongst a group of good teams this year. Sure the niners could beat GB in the playoffs, then again pretty much anyone can beat anyone in this league. But that's a long, long way from believing that the 49ers are better or more likely to win should they face the Packers in the playoffs.

They're not.

As much as the 49 D is better than GB's the 49 offense is proportionally inferior to the that of the Packers.

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90023 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 11:23 AM
Recommendations: 2
>> As much as the 49 D is better than GB's the 49 offense is proportionally inferior to the that of the Packers. <<

The 49ers offense should be called the 12ers or the 15ers. Certainly not a multiple of seven.

Author: 99lashes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90024 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 12:06 PM
As much as the 49 D is better than GB's the 49 offense is proportionally inferior to the that of the Packers.

Sad, but true.

Then again, on a good day they shall overcome...maybe.

Author: n8larson Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90025 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 12:08 PM
offense averages 35 points a game. And while the defense isn't great, it's not going to give up the money points. Green Bay opponents average 21 points a game. That's a point differential that pretty hard for any team to overcome. So is the frozen tundra. The Packers get home field for the playoffs, and I don't see any way that anyone can beat them.

Well, a certain kind of cameraderie goes a long way toward winning in green bay, and the packers obviously have it. That's another thing that's going to be difficult to beat.

http://dotcomjoe.com/caption580
(averagjoe's latest caption contest post on the HURL board)

-n8

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90026 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 12:24 PM
Interesting factoid. The least amount of points scored by the Packers this season was 24 in the games against St. Louis.

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90028 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 1:52 PM
The Packers offense is one of the best of all time, mostly due to Aaron Rogers but their defense is still not very good. What I'm wondering is if they can get through the playoffs with such a suspect defense. They've been doing it with take-a-ways throughout the season but I just don't think they can do that in the playoffs and still win.

They've beaten New Orleans, Atlanta, Chicago and the Giants in the regualr season and those are all potential playoff teams they may face. The didn't play the 49ers or the Cowboys, the other teams they might face. One thing I will say is that the Saints aren't the same team that Green Bay beat in the first game. I'm not so sure the Packers could beat them today but the other teams they've faced are probably not a match for them. The Giants might be able to beat them but it depends on which Giants team shows up. Eli Manning has been playing incredibly well and the Gianst defense has been coming back from a fairly dismal start to the season.

Calabogie

If Green Bay goes to the SB they better pray they get the Patriots, who have almost identical offensive/defensive stats (see my post late last week). I would suspect it becomes a very high scoring game, possibly the highest in SB history given how porous both of these defenses are.

A good question on the fate of the Patriots is how they do against the Broncos and Tebow fever this coming Sunday.

Author: JimZipCode Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90030 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 2:18 PM
Recommendations: 2
As much as the 49ers D is better than GB's the 49er offense is proportionally inferior to the that of the Packers.

And in the modern NFL, it's much better to be good at offense than at defense.

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90031 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 2:20 PM
So is the frozen tundra. The Packers get home field for the playoffs, and I don't see any way that anyone can beat them.

I think that's the best point anyone can make. In Lambeau it's almost impossible to beat them. I don't know if the Niners have played any cold weather games this season but I can't imagine they'd like going to Lambeau in January. The Giants on the other hand have played some cold weather games and they play in an open stadium so the weather may not be as much of a problem for them.

It should be an interesting post-season. The AFC should be even more fun.

Calabogie

Author: psuasskicker6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90032 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 2:34 PM
I would suspect [Pack/Pats] becomes a very high scoring game, possibly the highest in SB history given how porous both of these defenses are.

I would 100% be ramming money into the under on whatever that line is...

- C -

Author: xjwarner93 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90033 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 3:21 PM
I think the Green Bay defense has stepped in up a little in the past few weeks. I think there has been several defensive touch downs and more stops.

Not sure they will maintain it through the playoffs.... (the D)

John

Author: mbarr Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90034 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 3:59 PM
Recommendations: 3
I think the title of this thread should be "Is there any way the Packers don't make it to the SB?"

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90036 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/12/2011 4:30 PM
The Packers get home field for the playoffs, and I don't see any way that anyone can beat them.

I wrote that a couple of weeks ago. With the NFC path to the Super Bowl through the frozen tundra of cheese hat wearing rabid sausage eating fans, any NFC playoff team going here will have to deal with the 12th and the 13th man. The 12th man being the fans, the 13th fan being Lambo itself and the weather.

On the other hand, icy cold weather turns footballs into rocks and has a way of taking the gas out of a passing game...hmmmmmmmmm...

Author: RodimusPrime Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90159 of 95885
Subject: Re: Can the Packers get to the SB? Date: 12/19/2011 4:06 PM
It's not the best, but it's good enough. But I just don't think it really matters. The only thing that can really hurt the Packers is an injury to Aaron Rogers. That offense averages 35 points a game. And while the defense isn't great, it's not going to give up the money points. Green Bay opponents average 21 points a game.

That's a point differential that pretty hard for any team to overcome.

Differential is relative. If you compare the differential to the points scored, both teams are winning with a comparable differential.

GB:  34.3 PF/G - 21.2 PA/G = 13.1 margin/G (38% of PF/G)
SF: 23.6 PF/G - 14.0 PA/G = 9.6 margin/G (40% of PF/G)

In other words... a 7-point deficit in a low-scoring game is much "harder to overcome" than a 7-point deficit in a high-scoring game. Margin of victory numbers are relative, not absolute.

--Rod

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement