Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Can we (go back to 1999 and) file for the adoption credit listed on form 8839 even though we had no expenses to speak of. We are not concerned about the gas and food expenses we had in driving to another city twice in regards to these children.

Unfortunately, the credit is a reimbursement of expenses, not a payment to you. The travel expenses you mention would qualify for the credit, but since those were the only expenses you had, that would be the total of your qualifying expenses for the credit.

You can amend a timely-filed 1999 return any time before 4/15/2003.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.