UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Mei2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Re: Thxs to All & Happy NY! Date: 1/4/2000 6:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Can we have any gory details, like what you started with and how fast you did it? Things like that can be an inspiration to the
rest of us...

Dear ForumCap,

If you must know...I'll give you the gory details.

I had about $13,000 in credit card debt starting August 1997. I paid it off in January 2000, about 29 months later, or just shy of 2.5 years. I never had interest rates above 5.9%. I kept transferring and cutting up the "old" cards as their promotions ran out (making sure never to pay any transfer fees or any such nonsense), and my last $1,500 was actually an interest- loan to me from my honey (thanks, Honey!).

If you do a straight division (without taking interest into account), the numbers aren't THAT impressive--about $448/month. However, I've made two career changes since 8/97, each time going to a lower-paying position (it's a life-style choice), so in light of that, I didn't do too badly.

I'm fascinated one how one's cost of living expands to fill one's income (e.g. suits=dry cleaning; professional look=expensive watch, expensive car; image=fine dining, expensive suits; expensive car=expensive maintenance, etc.). If I had regularly visited the LBYM boards when I was fresh out of law school, I may have paid off the CC debt much more quickly. But most likely, I probably would have been appalled if somebody suggested that I could actually live comfortably on the salary I'm currently making. As it is, I'm saving more and now I'm CC debt free! (Thanks, LYBM boards!)

But hey, the CC debt is gone, and now I get to leave work at 4:30 rather than worry about such lovely things as face-time, brown nosing, & billables. (Ooops, I know I may have offended some professional people out there, my apologies, but I hate billables.)

Best wishes,
Iron Maiden
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement