Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5068  
Subject: Re: A visual tool Date: 9/4/2003 11:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
can you clarify how this would work?

The short answer is update your FIRE and total net worth figures once a month, and compare the two as a percentage. If the net worth percentage has advanced a full percentage point or more compared to your remaining links, tear up the links.

Getting those figures is a matter of record keeping. I always know my net worth, because I have record for everything in Quicken. I include my estimated home equity in this figure by tracking my house's current estimated market value in Quicken, as well as the remaining balance on my mortgage.

Presumably you keep a budget. You absolutely need one if you want a firm FIRE figure, because you need to know how much you want in retirement. I'd include a reasonable monthly recreation budget in this, since you don't want to be just scraping by. I would not include rent or mortgage.

For example, for me this figure is $40,000 / year, which includes $12,000 / year in recreation, and things like property taxes.

Now you need to include taxes. This is moderately complex, since it's a sliding scale, and your income is going to include capital gains and dividends, which aren't taxed like normal income. I currently estimate my tax burden will be about 20%, excluding property tax. My actual tax burden is about 30% right now, but that's all normal income, and my household income is about double what I'll need in retirement.

For me, then, I'm estimating my pre-tax desired income to be $40,000 / (100% - 20%) = $50,000 / year. At 4% withdrawal, that's $1.25M. At 5%, it's $1M. Personally, I'm going with a 5% rate, which is aggressive, because I believe I will be able to adjust my spending and re-balance my bond vs. stock income a bit more intelligently than the RE spreadsheet shows.

To this, I add the cost of a house. I didn't include rent or mortgage in my earlier numbers because I intended to add that cost here. I'm allowing $300K for this figure, because I figure that's the maximum cost to build to suit in a market more reasonable that the Boston suburbs. Build to suit isn't my first choice, but it does put a cap on what I expect to pay. Hence my total target figure is $1.3M at present.

I walked through this stuff because you can combine two steps by multiplying your current annual budget by x20 / 80% = 25 (for 5%) or x25 / 80% = 31.25 (for 4%). If you keep reasonable track of what you're actually spending, you can update your FIRE figure quickly by doing something like this:

FIRE = Last 12 month's spending x 30 + House Cost.

It's worthwhile to update housing prices about once a year, since they do change. One way to do it is to use www.realtor.com or something similar to take a gander at asking prices for houses you'd like in the area you'll retire. If you think you'll retire in your present house - which I don't - you needn't bother, you can just use your mortgage.

- Gus
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement