Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Germanics One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 216  
Subject: Re: The Fundamentals Behind GameStop Date: 10/3/2010 6:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Can you elaborate on the origin of this rating of Overweight, and especially on how it indicates something so specific about portfolio managers' holdings? The only use I have seen for the term before indicated a category between Buy and Hold.

Thanks!

Allow me first to say I'd like to make a correction in the following statement from my original post.

"The stock has been rated as 'Overweight' which means that some portfolio manager's are holding upwards of 25% of their funds in this particular stock."

In actuality there are no single Mutual Funds or Institutional owners currently holding more then 25% of GME within their own portfolio's compared to their other allocations.

However, currently the holdings look as such;

Ownership Breakdown: GME
as of 3:01 AM EDT
Large Block Holder Type Number
Institutions 500

Total Number of Shares Held 150.35 M
% of Shares Owned by all Large Block Holders 100.00%
Mutual Fund 1,004
Other Major 14
Total Number of Large Block Holders 1,518

I apologize for my misrepresentation in my article above.

Now to answer your question in regards to the terminology of 'Overweight' as it has two meanings. This term is used by both Analyst and Mutual Funds. The best way to define this is at the following link from Investopedia.com.
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/o/overweight.asp

Thank you for your question.

- J.P. Germanic
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement