Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RMarkic Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63935  
Subject: Canada's five biggest banks deliver $7.8 billion Date: 8/30/2012 9:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey team, how do banks make money anyway....

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/canadas-five-biggest-banks-...

so much press lately about these guys,macro and micro but we never talk about them cause there bbbbbbboooooooorrrrriiiiiiinnnnnngggggg.

But, truth is they've done nothing but make a "tonne" of money, that is ton of money, for those of you playing along in USia.

What say you about all thisng related to Canadian Banks????? Past, Present, and Future - nows your opportunity.

Sheesh enougnh about small cap, oil and gas, speculative stocks. Go to Vegas already....just sayin....

and.....have a nice day

Rick (leaving town for a week :-) )
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RMarkic Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62981 of 63935
Subject: Re: Canada's five biggest banks deliver $7.8 bil Date: 8/30/2012 9:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hey Timbo...

just saw this....

http://boards.fool.com/canadian-big-banks-5-for-5-30233631.a...

Good on ya mate! ;-)

Why do they discuss this topic on an USian board, and don't here?

Rick

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62982 of 63935
Subject: Re: Canada's five biggest banks deliver $7.8 bil Date: 8/30/2012 9:46 PM
Why do they discuss this topic on an USian board, and don't here?

Rick

Because USians invest in Canuck banks as well and nobody reads anything here anymore?

In truth I was coming over here to link the article and found you had already done it for me.

Thanks

Tim

Author: RMarkic Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62984 of 63935
Subject: Re: Canada's five biggest banks deliver $7.8 bil Date: 8/30/2012 10:00 PM
In truth I was coming over here to link the article and found you had already done it for me.</l>

no problem ;-)

Funny, guy over there says ...ya but it's only because their Oligopolies that they make a SH!T load of money...

I'm thinkin...ok, good point, so why don't you buy some stock and get in on this good thing?????

What do I know, I'm from Thunder Bay, all this stuff is confusing...nuff said.

:-) (that's all I'm sayin...)

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62985 of 63935
Subject: Re: Canada's five biggest banks deliver $7.8 bil Date: 8/30/2012 10:06 PM
What do I know, I'm from Thunder Bay, all this stuff is confusing...nuff said.

Could be worse, I'm originally from Marathon. }};-D

Left there in 1964, passed through twice since.

Tim

Author: RMarkic Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62986 of 63935
Subject: Re: Canada's five biggest banks deliver $7.8 bil Date: 8/30/2012 10:29 PM
Could be worse, I'm originally from Marathon

So what are you sayin...exactly?

We're dumb and dumber?

I want to know who gets the headline????

Rick (been dumber, since longer than I can remember, ... no really)

;-)

Author: jesting2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62987 of 63935
Subject: Re: Canada's five biggest banks deliver $7.8 bil Date: 9/1/2012 7:21 AM
Perhaps all the folks that criticize the Canadian banks so vigorously would prefer that our banks were loosing money? Then instead of worrying about their high service charge levels, they could worry about the safety of their investments and their deposit accounts.

Bob, who is spending his bank dividends and loving it!

Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62988 of 63935
Subject: Re: Canada's five biggest banks deliver $7.8 bil Date: 9/1/2012 10:46 PM
I'm not sure what there is to say about investing in Canadian banks. Do it. They make lots of money. Try to buy when dividends are 4% or higher. Maybe avoid CIBC because they don't have the best track record.

Doesn't that cover it?

Simon

Author: RMarkic Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62989 of 63935
Subject: Re: Canada's five biggest banks deliver $7.8 bil Date: 9/2/2012 7:36 AM
Well, well

Look who the cat dragged!

Hello Bob and Simon

Of course you already know I totally agree with you both.

Nice see the reinstatement of dividend increases the last of which being BMO.

Got 3 pay rises last week (BNS, BMO and RY)

I'm stil waiting for the interest rate increase led housing correction. How much indigestion do you think might give the banks?

Rick (who has love/hate relationship with banks)

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62990 of 63935
Subject: Re: Canada's five biggest banks deliver $7.8 bil Date: 9/2/2012 8:07 AM
I'm stil waiting for the interest rate increase led housing correction. How much indigestion do you think might give the banks?

Rick (who has love/hate relationship with banks)

Shouldn't be too bad. Higher spread is good for new loans and they aren't stuck with the really long fixed rate ones the US has.

A lot of people using lines of credit and variable get to start paying right away.

Growth in retail is another issue, probably won't be much. I noticed RBC is courting immigrants and students... probably the others are doing the same?

I'm still using mostly energy companies with Altagas and Penn West my largest holdings for my dividends though CHL.a in third place but I have moved mostly to the larger ones. I recently bought a fracker (Canyon FRC.to) with a nice divvy still fairly small position.

Tim

Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62991 of 63935
Subject: Re: Canada's five biggest banks deliver $7.8 bil Date: 9/3/2012 1:22 PM
Some thoughts...

At over a billion a quarter in profits and CMHC to back them up I'm not worried about a housing correction in Canada affecting the banks.

BNS is also targeting immigrants now. Everyone targets students in the fall.

And what prompted you to buy Canyon Tim? I've been watching it but can't pull the trigger yet, thought it is in my Canada Challenge portfolio. I'll have to post an update soon. It's not pretty.

Simon

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62992 of 63935
Subject: Re: Canada's five biggest banks deliver $7.8 bil Date: 9/3/2012 2:42 PM
And what prompted you to buy Canyon Tim? I've been watching it but can't pull the trigger yet, thought it is in my Canada Challenge portfolio. I'll have to post an update soon. It's not pretty.

Simon

Since you ask I had a sum of cash on hand, had it on my watchlist, spent about an hour reading recent quarterlies and with the exception of a mention of planning on expanding into the northern US didn't see anything scary. The debt situation (virtually none) and recent growth including the dividend increase probably caught my eye?

I don't suppose you have the executive summary handy? }};-D

Tim

Author: IKan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62994 of 63935
Subject: Re: Canada's five biggest banks deliver $7.8 bil Date: 9/4/2012 10:58 PM
Could be worse, I'm originally from Marathon. }};-D

Left there in 1964, passed through twice since.

Been a few years since I passed though there also. I bet it sure has changed a lot. LOL :). Maybe not?!

IKan

Author: IKan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62995 of 63935
Subject: Re: Canada's five biggest banks deliver $7.8 bil Date: 9/4/2012 11:04 PM
I'm not sure what there is to say about investing in Canadian banks. Do it. They make lots of money. Try to buy when dividends are 4% or higher. Maybe avoid CIBC because they don't have the best track record.

Doesn't that cover it?

Yup!
That about covers it.
However, potential extra good buys can be had due to CIBC's occassional mess ups. Patience. They do not seem to be able to mess it up permanently for over a 145 years so far.

IKan

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement