UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFCogitarius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 268  
Subject: Canadian treats Date: 5/20/2010 11:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
'Poutine: The ultimate guilty-pleasure food for cold weather, eh? A nutritionist’s nightmare, but a warming meal when the temps are below freezing up here – which they often are (outside Vancouver, anyway). Poutine can be found across Canada. The New York Times Food page, of all things, recently discovered this dish, which is, well, leaking into the U.S. Poutine consists of French fries topped with brown gravy. And if that’s not cringeworthy enough, it’s all covered with melted curds of white cheese. 800 calories, minimum. Get ready to have your shower curtain let out!

Nanaimo Bars: I learned soon after moving to Montreal that Canadians have a sweet tooth, even for ice cream. These yummy little devils, a favorite in B.C., are named after the city on Vancouver Island. The frozen treats – perfect for the two-month Canadian summer – start with a crumb base covered with a layer of custard buttercream, all topped with a layer of chocolate. Found in dairy cases across Canada.

Sugar pie: Basically pecan pie without the pecans. Very popular in Quebec, but I’ve ordered a slice in Vancouver restaurants.

I’ve saved the best for last.

Montreal smoked meat: Vraiment incroyable! This will seem like heresy, but this deli treat that the Times recently called pastrami’s Canadian rival is arguably the best-tasting deli meat on the planet. Smoked meat has a distinctive flavor, and, while it can be found across Canada, I’ve never had a really good smoked-meat sandwich outside Montreal, where Schwartz’ legendary deli and Dunn’s Restaurant downtown serve possibly the best viande fumee on the planet. I love pastrami and corned beef, but they’ve got nothing on smoked meat. I used to see New Yorkers make repeated pilgrimages up to Montreal to scarf up smoked meat, which recently has made incursions (finally) into the Big Apple.'
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/vancouverolympics/2010/02/20/ha...
-----------------------------
GG Home Fool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: drdrab Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 249 of 268
Subject: Re: Canadian treats Date: 5/22/2010 3:19 AM
Recommendations: 1
Cogitarius

I am from Nanaimo and still live just down the road from there. I have never known anyone to freeze them and have never seen them in a local shop frozen. Just refridgerated.

I guess I will have to chuck some in the freezer and give it a try.

regards
drab

PS- On the rock we get 3 months of summer and a few more of spring. Not quite like places a little more to the east.

Author: TMFCogitarius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 250 of 268
Subject: Re: Canadian treats Date: 5/23/2010 10:56 AM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for that authentic local flavor! I guess from the POV of 'places a little more to the east', almost anything cold in Canada = frozen :)

----------------------------------
GG Home Fool

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement