Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFTheSnake Big red star, 1000 posts Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 36  
Subject: Canadians more profligate than Americans Date: 12/14/2010 12:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://mot.ly/f91Y9m

It appears Canada may have a debt problem, just not at the government level. Canadians have an ever so slight lead on Americans in hosuehold debt to disposable income. They both still lag Australians.

This poses a problem for the central banks of these countries as these debt binges are in part a result of low interest rates. However, the central bank can't raise rates without making the CAD and AUD more attractive to foreign investors, which would hurt their respective economies, making the high debt levels more dangerous.

Round and round we go. Where it stops...well it won't stop. Not forever anyway.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: anuragupta Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30 of 36
Subject: Re: Canadians more profligate than Americans Date: 12/14/2010 12:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Round and round we go. Where it stops...well it won't stop. Not forever anyway.

It feels like the global economy is sitting on a house of cards. It almost collapsed if it were not for the soggy props. I am still having a hard time determining the best course of action for myself. So far the only real change I have made is gotten debt free except for my mortgage and raised more cash by reducing the investment pace. But I have not made any changes to the way I run my portfolio. Tim mentioned that he has this goal of 7% annual appreciation and has moved a majority of his equity assets into safe places. I would be interested in knowing what other TMFers are doing especially those in the advisory teams like yourself. I was hoping for some direction from Bears but he seems to be drenched in honey to give any sane opinion.

Anurag

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement