Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
canonian: "My first kid is starting high school this year and kid #2 is 2 years behind."

I will offer a slightly different perspective.

You will need these funds 4, 5, 6 and 7 years from now for kid-1 (ignoring the semester issue), and then in years 6, 7, 8 and 9 for kid-2 (still ignoring the semester issue).

IOW, you need 1/4 of the funds within 5 years and 1/2 of the funds in years 6 & 7, and 1/4 of the funds you will not need until 8 or more years from now.

I am not sure that you need to be entirely out of the market with 100% of these funds, especially those that you do not need for the next 8 years. Clearly those within 5 years are understandable, and the 1/2 need in years 6 & 7 are more debatable, though you could perhaps leave them in the market for another year or two.

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement