Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886  
Subject: Can't play VOB files Date: 4/6/2012 9:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,
I have some very important treasures of videos on my computer. I used to be able to play them simply by double clicking and a program (I can't remember which) would open up and play them.

Now they won't play.
I tried Windows Media Player. It gives a message that it can't play DVD videos. But how could this be a DVD file? It's from a camcorder and it used to play just fine on my computer.
I have a bunch of these videos I want to get working.

Any idea what program I need for VOB files?

Thanks,
RB
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 808 of 886
Subject: Re: Can't play VOB files Date: 4/7/2012 1:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I don't know VOB files so I looked it up. I got his from Wikipeia:

A VOB file (Video Object) is a container format in DVD-Video media. VOB can contain video, audio, subtitle, menu and navigation contents multiplexed together into a stream form. VOB is based on the MPEG program stream format, but with additional limitations and specifications in the private streams. The MPEG program stream has provisions for non-standard data (as used in VOB files) in the form of so-called private streams. VOB files are a very strict subset of the MPEG program stream standard. While all VOB files are MPEG program streams, not all MPEG program streams comply with the definition for a VOB file.

Here was one post I found that suggested some editors and converters. I've not tried it myself.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/108963

Fuskie
Who knows the board has been slow, and he himself hasn't been able to do much video editing the last few months, but he is still here ready to conversate whenever anyone else is...

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 809 of 886
Subject: Re: Can't play VOB files Date: 4/7/2012 2:02 PM
Thanks a lot Fuskie. I'll take a look.

How are you doing without hockey? Still sad about that? Well, my Bruins won the Cup last year and I'm losing interest now personally. Might as well quit while I'm ahead! LOL! I'll watch some but not rabidly like I did for the past decade and a half.

Thanks,
RB

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 810 of 886
Subject: Re: Can't play VOB files Date: 4/7/2012 4:54 PM
My brother switched to the Gwinnett Gladiators (minor league) and is happily in the post season hunt. I gave away much of my Thrashers clothing to Good Will. In fact, I haven't been to Philips Arena since the last game (the basketball Hawks are still owned by the same ownership group who can't find anyone stupid enough to buy anything from them). I still think Gary Betteman is a liar and a cheat. And the Braves had a September collapse and are now 0-2 to the pond scum Mets for the 2012 season.

Fuskie
Who, all things said, is doing OK...

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 811 of 886
Subject: Re: Can't play VOB files Date: 4/8/2012 11:19 AM
I have a basic Canon point and shoot camera that does video also. Power Shot SD1100 IS Digital Elph.

When using the video feature outside when it's windy, the audio is terrible. The sound of the wind masks my vocal commentary.

Is there any solution for that?

I'm also possibly going to shop for a new camera where the video features are better. Like one that allows pausing of the video. The Canon I have doesn't pause so if you want to stop recording you have to stop it completely and then when you start up again you are recording an entirely new video file. That's a drag. Why no pause!

As long as I may buy a new one, I wonder if there is one that has a solution for the loud wind problem?

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
RB

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 812 of 886
Subject: Re: Can't play VOB files Date: 4/8/2012 11:35 AM
Recommendations: 1
RB, look for a wind noise filter in the menus or the instruction manual. Some cameras have it, some don't. If you have an external mic jack, you can plug in a better mic with a wind sleeve.

Most better quality still cameras that have a video function will have a limitation on record length, and not provide a pause function. Larger sensors heat up quickly, and they aren't robust enough to stand up to the constant frame rates of video, since they are optimized for still shots. The sensor would be continuesly energized if there was a pause function.

Richard

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 813 of 886
Subject: Re: Can't play VOB files Date: 4/8/2012 12:03 PM
Thanks for the explanation on why they don't have the "pause" function.
It's kind of a drag. I guess I need to learn how to splice footage together.
My computer has Windows Movie Maker. I'll try that. I've never used it before.
Thanks,
RB

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement