Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Ratrace100 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121100  
Subject: cap gains - cost basis - real basic Date: 12/19/2005 6:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have been looking at the 1040 Schedule D forms looking for info. for how to calculate cost basis and I can't seem to find what I am looking for. My situation:

I purchased shares of company at several different points in time within the past year. I have lost money on all three purchases. However, I have sold only a percentage of these shares and still own 50% of the shares.

My question...to calculate my losses (which I would like to maximize for tax purposes), can I first "sell" the shares that cost the most per share - independant of the when date/sequence when I purchased these shares. Or, do I have to use a FIFO approach to calculate my cost per share.

Thanks in advance.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 82115 of 121100
Subject: Re: cap gains - cost basis - real basic Date: 12/19/2005 7:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I purchased shares of company at several different points in time within the past year. I have lost money on all three purchases. However, I have sold only a percentage of these shares and still own 50% of the shares.

My question...to calculate my losses (which I would like to maximize for tax purposes), can I first "sell" the shares that cost the most per share - independant of the when date/sequence when I purchased these shares. Or, do I have to use a FIFO approach to calculate my cost per share.

Lose those quotation marks and the answer is "yes." Now the details.

You're stuck with FIFO for the shares you already sold since you didn't identify them at the time of sale. You may specify the shares you sell in the future. You can read about specific identification in the FAQ over there------------------------------->

Phil

Author: pussinboots1 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 82116 of 121100
Subject: Re: cap gains - cost basis - real basic Date: 12/19/2005 8:38 PM
I could be wrong, but my recollection is that you have the option of selecting either FIFO or average cost basis. I think you may make the selection per security.

Puss

Author: lorenzo2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 82117 of 121100
Subject: Re: cap gains - cost basis - real basic Date: 12/19/2005 8:46 PM
Recommendations: 4
I could be wrong, but my recollection is that you have the option of selecting either FIFO or average cost basis.

Bzzt! Average cost works only with mutual funds. With individual stocks, which is what OP was asking about, there are only two choices: FIFO or specific lot identification. And if you don't make such an identification at the time of the sale, there's only one choice, and that's FIFO.

Lorenzo

Author: pussinboots1 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 82120 of 121100
Subject: Re: cap gains - cost basis - real basic Date: 12/19/2005 9:34 PM
Average cost works only with mutual funds.

Oops. Got my wires cross there. Thanks for correcting me.

Puss

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement