Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have several 401k, Roth 401k and pension accounts that I trade stocks in. Do I need to be concerned about long or short term cap gains in these accounts since I can't draw from them until I retire (I'm 56, plan retiring at 64). I have some IPGP I bought last Dec, which has almost doubled. Would like to sell it now to buy something else with that money. Do I wait until I've owned it over a year to make it long term cap gains, or does it matter in a tax-deferred account (this one is a 401k)? My broker began tracking all of this in the last couple of years, but I thought it didn't matter for gains or losses until I begin to draw the money out.

What happens after I begin withdrawels, do I need to watch how long I've held a stock then?

Thanks for any help!

GF
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
I have several 401k, Roth 401k and pension accounts that I trade stocks in. Do I need to be concerned about long or short term cap gains in these accounts

No.

What happens after I begin withdrawels, do I need to watch how long I've held a stock then?

No.

--Peter
I have several 401k, Roth 401k and pension accounts that I trade stocks in. Do I need to be concerned about long or short term cap gains in these accounts since I can't draw from them until I retire (I'm 56, plan retiring at 64). I have some IPGP I bought last Dec, which has almost doubled. Would like to sell it now to buy something else with that money. Do I wait until I've owned it over a year to make it long term cap gains, or does it matter in a tax-deferred account (this one is a 401k)? My broker began tracking all of this in the last couple of years, but I thought it didn't matter for gains or losses until I begin to draw the money out.

What happens in your 401(k) stays in your 401(k).

MOI
:)
As long as you don't trigger a wash sale with trading the same stock in a taxable account.
And as long as you aren't trading units of an MLP.
No. of Recommendations: 5
And as long as you aren't trading units of an MLP.

MLP trades aren't an issue within a retirement account. What may become an issue is the unrelated business income MLP's may generate while owned in the retirement account.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Advertisement