UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20733  
Subject: Cape Cod mid-September Date: 4/20/2005 5:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a US Air voucher that I need to turn into a ticket within the next week. I am thinking of a week on Cape Cod(flying Denver to Boston) in mid-September. Any tips on Cape Cod ?

thanks
rad
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lswswein Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6010 of 20733
Subject: Re: Cape Cod mid-September Date: 4/20/2005 9:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
You should talk with pixie.. - She lives very close by I think.

-h

Author: Rile72 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6012 of 20733
Subject: Re: Cape Cod mid-September Date: 4/21/2005 7:36 AM
I live in southern NH and go to the Cape often (and actually lived outside of Denver long ago). Mid to late Sept is a great time on the Cape. The crowds start to thin out after Labor Day. What are you interested in doing on the Cape? I would suggest the mid to upper section on the Cape. The Cape Cod National Sea Shore is part of the National Park System, and is a great place to visit. But the beaches on the southern side of the Cape, on Nanutcket Sound have the warmest waters (South Yarmouth, Dennisport, Harwich). There are many great Irish Pubs on the Cape (The Olde Inn on Rt 28 in West Dennis is my favorite) You might also want to visit P-Town, or take one of the ferries to Nantucket or Marthas Vinyard.

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6013 of 20733
Subject: Re: Cape Cod mid-September Date: 4/21/2005 7:52 AM
What are you interested in doing on the Cape?

Relax, run, walk swim, bike :) I was there once for a couple of days when I was in college (quite awhile ago) and my husband's never been there.

Please let me know about any places to stay.

thanks
rad

Author: juliak Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6015 of 20733
Subject: Re: Cape Cod mid-September Date: 4/21/2005 11:45 AM
Recommendations: 1
Hi rad,

September is a wonderful time of the year to visit Cape Cod. The weather and water is still warm, the crowds are gone but most of the businesses (stores, restaurants) are still open. You can relax, run, swim and bike pretty much anywhere on the Cape, but here are some suggestions:

If you are looking for the warmest ocean beaches, they are located on the Nantucket Sound side (Mashpee, Hyannis, Osterville, Cotuit, West and South Yarmouth, West Dennis and Dennsiport, Harwich). Bay side beaches are usually more shallow but somewhat colder, and the National Seashore is stunning but feels bitter cold to me.

Biking trails - the longest I believe is Cape Cod Rail Trail, 21 miles long, running parallel to U.S. Rt. 6 beginning just south of Patriot Square Mall in Dennis on Mass. Rt. 134, through Nickerson State Park, and ending in Wellfleet. More info on bike paths:
http://www.cctrails.org/bike.htm
http://www.capecodbikeguide.com/

Walks on Cape Cod:
http://www.cctrails.org/default.htm

More info on beaches and Cape Cod in general can be found here:
www.insidecapecod.com

You may want to consider taking a ferry to Martha's Vineyard or Nantcuket or take a whale watching cruise.

As for a place to stay, it depends on what you are looking for. While most visitors to the Cape (especially first time visitors) stay in the mid-Cape area (Barnstable, Yarmouth, Dennis) since this area has the most accomodations and tourist infrastructure in place, this is not the most "charming" part of the Cape (although I do love it, but then I am not much for solitude and isolation :). Chatham and Falmouth are often recommended as good places for the home base. You can take day trips to Truro, Provincetown, Sandwich or even get off Cape for a day and visit Plymouth, MA or Newport, RI.

Sorry can't recommend a hotel to stay - we own a couple of vacation rental homes on the Cape, so haven't had to stay in a hotel for a long time. If you are interested in renting a house for your stay, prices usually drop sharply around Labor Day and renting a house might be a good deal. These sites have a large selection of properties :

www.weneedavacation.com
www.cyberrentals.com
www.vrbo.com

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions on things to do, restaurants to eat and similar. I do this all year long - sending info to guests who stay at our vacation rentals, so it's no big deal to send some info your way :)

Julia.

Author: Robert52 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6019 of 20733
Subject: Re: Cape Cod mid-September Date: 4/25/2005 6:35 PM
Here is a link to the website for our favorite B&B on Cape Cod:

http://www.captainfarriscapecod.com/

Author: missy508 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6090 of 20733
Subject: Re: Cape Cod mid-September Date: 5/1/2005 9:00 PM
Hi Rad

A little late in posting this. I'd suggest flying into TF Green airport outside of Providence instead of Logan. Personally I feel it is much easier to drive to and from. In addition the airport is less chaotic.

Missy

Author: wolsey1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6169 of 20733
Subject: Re: Cape Cod mid-September Date: 5/15/2005 12:26 PM
You may want to consider taking a ferry to Martha's Vineyard or Nantcuket or take a whale watching cruise.

How do most people get from Boston to Martha's Vineyard?

I see that Cape Air has hourly flights during the day, so that would be easy. But of the several online ferry companies I've seen I don't actually see a ferry route from Boston to MV. Maybe such a ferry ride is too long?

Thanks.

Author: meowmixx Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6170 of 20733
Subject: Re: Cape Cod mid-September Date: 5/16/2005 12:51 PM
Recommendations: 1
How do most people get from Boston to Martha's Vineyard?

We've taken a Peter Pan bus from South Station in Boston to Vineyard Haven (about 2 hours 40 minutes) and then take the ferry across to Martha's Vineyard. The bus runs pretty regularly and is not a bad deal - can't remember how much we paid for tickets (we went about 5 years ago). We then usually rent a car to go around the island.

More info here: http://bonanzabus.com/schedules/april05/WH_boston.gif

Author: jeffsquest Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6175 of 20733
Subject: Re: Cape Cod mid-September Date: 5/17/2005 4:21 PM
We've taken a Peter Pan bus from South Station in Boston to Vineyard Haven (about 2 hours 40 minutes) and then take the ferry across to Martha's Vineyard. The bus runs pretty regularly and is not a bad deal - can't remember how much we paid for tickets (we went about 5 years ago).

That would be some bus to take you from South Station to Vineyard Haven. {;^D I think you meant Woods Hole.

There's the ferry from Woods Hole and another in New Bedford. Public transportation on the island is pretty good.

Author: meowmixx Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6177 of 20733
Subject: Re: Cape Cod mid-September Date: 5/18/2005 3:44 PM
That would be some bus to take you from South Station to Vineyard Haven. {;^D

Oops, you're right! I told you it's been awhile :)

Author: juliak Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6250 of 20733
Subject: Re: Cape Cod mid-September Date: 5/23/2005 3:59 PM
High speed ferries also depart from Hyannis Harbor.

http://www.hy-linecruises.com/

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement