Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My 12-year-old son has more than $4000 in capital gains this year. I understand that the first $700 will be tax-free. Then the next $700 (?) will be taxed at his rate of 15%, and then the rest will be taxed at the highest rate we are paying. How do we take advantage of paying a lower rate when some of the gain is of long-term ? Since I don't have all the forms in yet, I can only guess that our tax rate will be right at the border line between 28% and the one level up. Therefore, I assume that the "overflow" from my son's captial gains will be taxed at that rate. But wouldn't it be unfair if those gains are of long-term nature when people can pay either 10% or 20% rate? Thanks to anyone who can answer.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.