Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I have situation like this

I purchasd shares or a comapny in three consecute years. For long term..(10 years )

But the company did well. But I feel it has more wt on
my fortfolio and I want to sell some.

But my investment in last year is in capital gain
But in this year is in so-so. May be in small loss.

The brokerage usese FIFO
So if I sell they will say I made a gain
But I want to sell that I bought this year...
and maintain what I brought last year?

So what should I tell the brockerage to do this
and what should I tell IRS that is is a LOSS
not again as the brockerage says?


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.