Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Sputnik1213 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122912  
Subject: Capital Gain - real estate Date: 7/24/2000 2:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I recently sold a summer cabin that was owned jointly with a sibling. The income was split between the two of us. My question is - what sort of capital gains tax will I have to pay on my amount? Is this amount added to my AGI when I do my taxes?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38007 of 122912
Subject: Re: Capital Gain - real estate Date: 7/25/2000 7:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<I recently sold a summer cabin that was owned jointly with a sibling.>>

How did it become jointly held? That's the crux of the issue. If the sib paid FMV for his/her share of the property, the answer would be different when compared to your gift of half of the property to your sib.

<< The income was split between the two of us. >>

As is generally required in these types of transactions.

<<My question is - what sort of capital gains tax will I have to pay on my amount?>>

If this was nothing more than a second home, and not a rental property, your maximum capital gains is likely the preferred maximum rate of 20% (10% if some of your income is in the 15% bracket).

<<Is this amount added to my AGI when I do my taxes?>>

Yup...but then you use a special tax computation on Schedule D to compute the preferred capital gains taxes. You can read more about this in the Taxes FAQ area.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement