Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am not eligible for an IRA account, since Im currently unemployed. But recently I was fortunate enough to get some money to invest. I invested in a regular (non tax deferred) Schwab Discount Broker account, which I plan to hold for the long term (at lesast 10 years)

So, do I have to calculate and pay Capital Gains taxes every year, even though I'm not going to sell the stocks?

The same question goes for the dividends that I am going to reinvest right back in the stocks?

Thanks for your help!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.