Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: richbird One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19371  
Subject: Capital Gains Nightmare Date: 4/26/2000 2:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello Everyone,

Over the Easter Weekend My Mother-in-law complained that she was paying out nearly half of her income in taxes.

I'm shocked and concerned as our income is larger than hers and we aren't paying anywhere near that much.
The problem is the capital gains from her investment account.

The background of this situation is that my FIL was a
credit manager for Dun and Bradstreet and had accumulated a lot of stock in that company over the years.

When he died in the 80's my MIL started recieving dividend checks which she needed to live on. This supplimented her ss and a small pension.

All was well until a couple of years ago when Dun and Bradstreet cut their dividend. My MIL went into a panic because of the sudden dent in her income. She went to a broker that her friend uses.

Here's where the fun starts. The broker gets one percent of what her account earns. He doesn't have to ask her permission to buy or sell anything in her account, per her own instructions to him at the onset.

The account makes money alright but the buying and selling are so ridiculous that the capital gains are
killing her. She has Smith Barney send her a check automatically each month. From all sources her income is around $40,000 per year-- and she paid $17,000 in taxes this year.

I'm NOT a font of knowledge on these matters, but isn't
that ratio avoidable? My MIL mailed the broker a copy of her taxes and told him that she can't deal with it.

She's 82-years old and doesn't need this stress. Any words of wisdom here? I don't know what to tell her.
I suggested she write to the broker and tell him how she feels, for a start.

I appreciate your time!

Lori-Ann (richbird)

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement