Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I will try to outline all of the pertinent info, to get
an accurate answer here!

My wife purchased her first house in 1992. She paid
$60,000 for it. She (and later we) lived in it as
her primary residence until Feb, 1997. At that time
we took out a bridge loan on that house and purchased
our current home.

For the past 4 years and 4 months we have been living
in our current home and renting out the original home.
For the past 2 years, we have been renting to my wife's
sister, who hoped to purchase it eventually.

Now, we are in the process of selling the home to another
individual (not a family member). The selling price will
be $89,000. Our selling costs and improvements will total
approximately $7,000.

So, unless there are any mitigating circumstances in the above
information, I figure we are paying Capital Gains on approximately
$22,000 ($89,000-$7,000)-$60,000=$22,000

Anyone see any way around this? Renting to relative help at all?

Finally, since the house was in my wife's name and she makes less
income than I do, should we look into filing separately to reduce
our Capital Gains rate?

Thanks for any and all assistance!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.