Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I bought a closed-end mutual fund in about 1967 that
traded as a stock on the NYSE. I re-invested capital gains.
Now capital gains on stocks can be evaluated
FIFO or identified lots method. I took delivery of all the
stock certificates. Sometime in the 1970's or 1980's the
fund changed to an open-end fund for which the average-cost
method is used for computing capital gains.

Last year I sold some of the shares represented by the
certificates by sending them to the fund requesting that
they be sold. Considering them as a stock, I used the
FIFO method of computing capital gains. Since that time, I
have sold all the shares I bought as stock in closed-end
mutual fund. I hope this was legal. Does the IRS consider
those shares as stock (since I bought and sold them that
way), or a mutual fund, since that is what the new
corporation is?

I now have only the shares represented by
the reinvested dividends and capital gains. When I sell
these, I assume I will use the average cost method to
compute the capital gains. I guess I compute the average
cost by dividing the number of shares I have by the cost
basis as given by, e.g., Quicken, since I have a record
of all my transactions in there. Right?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.