Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello all,

I'm a new Fool starting with a UV2 portfolio soon, and would like to ask a few questions about capital gains taxes concerning non-US residents. My situation is that I'm a foreign student doing a Ph.D program in the US. My country of citizenship, Singapore, offers a lower capital gains tax structure than the US. I return to Singapore once a year, and can easily execute online orders from there. In such a situation can I legally claim potential capital gains to be subject to Singapore taxes rather than US taxes?
Conversely, if I execute orders from the US, are the capital gains then subject to the US taxes?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Foolishly seeking Zen

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.