Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TurkeyBreath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122300  
Subject: Capital Gains Tax Rates Date: 1/6/2001 3:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
TMF Taxes,

Concerning your Jan 5,01 article Capital Cains Tax Rates to apply to stocks for "super-long-term" capital gains. May this apply to capital loss too? May I pretend to sell currently held stocks and claim a capital loss this year? And pretend to buy them back for them to qualify for "super-long-term" capital gains when I really sell them > 5 years from the pretend buy backs?

How does the wash-sale rule work within the context of the above questions?

Thanks,

TB
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43993 of 122300
Subject: Re: Capital Gains Tax Rates Date: 1/6/2001 4:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
TurkeyBreath: ...may I pretend...

Honest Abe Lincoln once asked some yokel a question. "If I pretend a dog's tail is a leg, how many legs does it have?" "Five," says the yokel. "Nope," says Abe, "pretending a dog's tail is a leg don't make it a leg."

I personally like to pretend my net worth is $400 million and that Blythe Danner is coming over tomorrow to clean up my apartment, tune the harpsichord, and spend a night of passion with me. None of those has ever happened, not even the tuning the harpsichord part.

Author: phooley Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43996 of 122300
Subject: Re: Capital Gains Tax Rates Date: 1/6/2001 4:56 PM
TB,

You asked Roy Lewis:

Concerning your Jan 5,01 article Capital Cains Tax Rates to apply to stocks for "super-long-term" capital gains. May this apply to capital loss too?

You evidently didn't read the part of Roy's article where he addressed this point:

Be warned, though: If you elect to "sell and repurchase," any gain is recognized (and taxable), and any loss would not be allowed.

In other words, "No!"

Hope that helps,
Phooley

Author: goodeeds Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44006 of 122300
Subject: Re: Capital Gains Tax Rates Date: 1/7/2001 8:37 AM
JABoa
...not even the tuning the harpsichord part.

Great answer!

Author: TurkeyBreath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44008 of 122300
Subject: Re: Capital Gains Tax Rates Date: 1/7/2001 11:35 AM
...Be warned, though: If you elect to "sell and repurchase," any gain is recognized (and taxable), and any loss would not be allowed...

Pholley,

Thanks, it does help, and in my excitement I missed the warning. It was just too good to be true.

TB

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement