Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sandgroper Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Capital Gains Tax Treaties Date: 7/9/1999 10:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm an Australian, non-resident legal alien, and my wife is a German, NRLA. Having consulted the US tax treaties I find that German citizens are not required to pay capital gains tax (Whereas Australians are - 30%) The no - brainer is should we trade with my wife being the principle investor? - yes, *if* I have understood the tax treaty. Does anybody have any experience in this subject? Have I understood this treaty?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17122 of 121219
Subject: Re: Capital Gains Tax Treaties Date: 7/9/1999 8:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
[[I'm an Australian, non-resident legal alien, and my wife is a German, NRLA.
Having consulted the US tax treaties I find that German citizens are not required
to pay capital gains tax (Whereas Australians are - 30%) The no - brainer is
should we trade with my wife being the principle investor? - yes, *if* I have
understood the tax treaty. Does anybody have any experience in this subject?
Have I understood this treaty?]]

I haven't reviewed the entire treaty, but in looking in IRS Publication 901, It looks like you are correct.

My specialty is not in international taxation issues. It may be worth your while to review IRS Publications 519 and 901 for additional information. And then, if that is not enough for you, it may be time to speak with an accountant in your home country with experience in these issues.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Don't be the LAST one on your block to own this masterpiece, since it's sellin' fast. Remember: It's never to early to start planning for your 1999 taxes. So just click on this link (http://www.foolmart.com/market/product.asp?pfid=MF+013+I) to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/taxes.htm and you'll be right at the home page. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on http://www.irs.ustreas.gov to go directly there.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement