Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: devine1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121178  
Subject: Capital Gains/Losses Date: 7/12/1999 4:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Roy (or anyone who knows):

Is there a limit on the amount of short/long term losses that can be used to offset gains in a given year? For example, gains $30,000 and losses of $10,000. Is the net result then $20,000 in gains?

Thanks for your assistance.

devine1
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Bob78164 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17205 of 121178
Subject: Re: Capital Gains/Losses Date: 7/12/1999 5:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
devine1 writes:

Is there a limit on the amount of short/long term losses that can be used to offset gains in a given year? For example, gains $30,000 and losses of $10,000. Is the net result then $20,000 in gains?

I reply:

No and yes, in that order. :-) --Bob

Author: K9Cop Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17223 of 121178
Subject: Re: Capital Gains/Losses Date: 7/12/1999 11:53 PM
devine,

The answer isn't that simple. First you need to net the gains and losses by short term (less than 12 months) and long term (more than 12 months). The tax rates are different for long term (more preferable) and short term. However, if you have any net losses the maximum amount you can use to offset non-capital losses is $3,000 per year. Any unused amount above that can then be carried forward to future years.

Hope this helps.

CPA Bob

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17325 of 121178
Subject: Re: Capital Gains/Losses Date: 7/14/1999 9:52 PM
[[Is there a limit on the amount of short/long term losses that can be used to offset
gains in a given year? For example, gains $30,000 and losses of $10,000. Is the
net result then $20,000 in gains? ]]

Bob and Bob are both correct.

First of all, the amount of capital losses that can be used to offset capital gains (either long or short term) is unlimited.

So while Bob points out that you must first "net out" short term gains and then long term gains, you then "net out" one against the other. So if you have $50k in short term losses, and $50k in long term gains, they'll eventually net out against one another and your net capital gain income will be $0.

Bob makes a good point that long term capital gains receive preferred tax treatment, so they are really more valuable to you than to use to offset short term losses willy nilly. So there is some tax planning that should be involved. But your basis premis is right on the mark.

TMF Taxes
Roy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement