Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: maryann59 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121572  
Subject: Capital loss Date: 12/16/1997 3:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I read something on this board about a $3000 limit for capital loss.Does this apply to each stock or is this the most you can claim per year??
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 931 of 121572
Subject: Re: Capital loss Date: 12/17/1997 7:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
<<I read something on this board about a $3000 limit for capital loss.Does this apply to each stock or
is this the most you can claim per year??>>

That is a yearly amount.

Once you net out all of your capital gains and losses, if you find that you have a net loss, you can use up to $3k of that loss against normal income (such as salaries, interest, dividends, etc.). Any amount over the allowable $3k will be carried forward as a capital loss carryover into the next tax year.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 932 of 121572
Subject: Re: Capital loss Date: 12/17/1997 7:11 PM
<<I read something on this board about a $3000 limit for capital loss.Does this apply to each stock or
is this the most you can claim per year??>>

That is a yearly amount.

Once you net out all of your capital gains and losses, if you find that you have a net loss, you can use up to $3k of that loss against normal income (such as salaries, interest, dividends, etc.). Any amount over the allowable $3k will be carried forward as a capital loss carryover into the next tax year.

TMF Taxes
Roy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement