Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TweetleBeetle One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121341  
Subject: Capital loss carryover Date: 2/21/2000 9:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I created a UGMA account for my son and invested in the foolish 4. Last year I had an overall capital loss of about $700. My son had no other income. Thus no tax is due (nor is a refund).

My question is, do I have to file a return at all? Can I carry over the loss to next year (when the foolish four will make profit!) and deduct it from my 2000 gains. In the latter case, do I have to file a return this year (to do the carry over?)

Thanks,

Dave
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29529 of 121341
Subject: Re: Capital loss carryover Date: 2/21/2000 10:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<< I created a UGMA account for my son and invested in the foolish 4. Last year I had an overall capital loss of about $700. My son had no other income. Thus no tax is due (nor is a refund).

My question is, do I have to file a return at all? Can I carry over the loss to next year (when the foolish four will make profit!) and deduct it from my 2000 gains. In the latter case, do I have to file a return this year (to do the carry over?) >>

Yes, file the 1999 return to establish the carryover.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement