Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Recently we received a statement from the executor of a will for a deceased family member. It stated there was a capital loss carry over and they provided a fidicuary form 1041 K-1 worksheet dated fiscal year May 2, 2002 to April 30, 2003. This was issued to my wife (we married 03/2003).

Can anyone tell me what forms I need to file. The long term capital loss is $8546, which probably means I have to restate a few years of income... I am looking for some guidance on what I need to restate, and how I restate it.

My guess is I find a 2002 addendum form, add $3000 capital loss to the worksheet. Find a 2003 form, add $3000 capital loss to the worksheet, in 2004 add $2546 to the original filing. Would this be correct?

And does this happen often?

Thanks a bunch,

- ardent
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.