No. of Recommendations: 0
OK, I want to explain something up front. I've been in the computer industry for over a decade and been in e-commerce since 1998. I'm REALLY good at spotting e-mail spoofs, but this looks legit.

I am a Capital One Customer and do just about all my business online with them. Today in my in-box due to my good payment history they are offering me a Platnium Visa Card, I'm pre-approved, at 0% and then going to 14.9%. I just need to say I want it and pick out my design.

With my FICO in the relative toliet I have a hard time believing this is true. If it IS true than this has become a case of a good thing happening to a good person. I could transfer my existing balances, even at the bottom $5K credit line to this card at 0%, and get out from under interest rates of 18.9% to 24.99% - BUT BUT BUT - my "too good too be true" radar has gone off.

Has ANYONE out there ever gotten a credit card offer from Capital One, as a current customer, via e-mail. I figure my other option is to call them up and talk on the phone. With all the identity theft in the world I think you can understand my deep concern in responding.

If this is a spoof, it is a scary, scary, good spoof - it wasn't even caught by my SPAM filter.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
With my FICO in the relative toliet I have a hard time believing this is true. If it IS true than this has become a case of a good thing happening to a good person. I could transfer my existing balances, even at the bottom $5K credit line to this card at 0%, and get out from under interest rates of 18.9% to 24.99% - BUT BUT BUT - my "too good too be true" radar has gone off.

Has ANYONE out there ever gotten a credit card offer from Capital One, as a current customer, via e-mail. I figure my other option is to call them up and talk on the phone. With all the identity theft in the world I think you can understand my deep concern in responding.

I've never gotten that kind of offer, but I don't remember whether they have my current e-mail.

What I suggest you do is call the number on your card and ask whether they have sent out an email offer for credit cards.

As I recall, I did once receive an email request from one credit card vendor that I update information, but they said specifically to call the number on the card; don't do this on the site.

Call and check it out before responding.

Nancy
No. of Recommendations: 2
I figure my other option is to call them up and talk on the phone.

Have you checked your account online? If it is legit, chances are the offer will be available on the website after you log in. Don't click on the link in the email, but open a browser and go to Capital One's site directly. If you don't see it there I'd call. Under no circumstances would I reply to the email directly. The chance if it being a phishing expedition is too great.

And if it is legit - congratulations! All of your hard work in debt repayment may be paying off.

Pyrola

I agree with the other responses. Check it out, and LET US KNOW whether it was phishing or not, please!

Julie
I'm going to call in about an hour. If it is phishing I will let you know and will post the full text of the e-mail I got here -- also will report to Capital One.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I've posted in another thread - this was a legit offer. I called Capital One twice and spoke with three people and never got a really good answer.

Here is how I figured out it was legit on my own.

I was told I could go online where you fill out an application and there is a box to fill in the offer number. Put the offer number there and if it's legit, it will take you to the page.

Nope - didn't work out that way.

So then I went back to the e-mail and clicked on the link - the HTML in the e-mail indiciated it would go to Capital One.

Sure enough - it did...and here was the rub. I got an error message on the Capital One site saying that I couldn't go back to the application page.

Whoa! Pay dirt. When I went to the page to put in the offer code it must have put a cookie on my machine - when I clicked on the link it saw that cookie and thought I had already filled out the application. The only way, technically speaking that could happen is if the offer was legit and the cookies matched up.

It was a bit of a chance - but it paid off. I was told on the phone that Capital One is experimenting with e-mail based promotions. Which, I think is pretty darn stupid IMHO with this age of phishing scams.

By the way boys and girls, I've been in high tech since 1993 and was in e-commerce from 1998 to 2003 - I wouldn't have suggested to the untrained eye to take some of the risks I took.

But it was legit, and I posted in another thread the outcome of my application - I'm smiling!
Advertisement